• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

BBA Outbreak in CO2 Injected Tank

nijat11

1. 800 liters (180x80x55) + 250l sump.
2. 1.6 yeaars
3. 6500 l/h + maxspect xf330 on 60% during photoperiod. Multiple sponges, seachem matrix, biohome
4. 2 x aquatlatins 1500, 1x dennerle trocal led 160, all on 100% during photoperiod
5. Old aquasoil + fine gravel
6. Starts 2 hours before lights goes on and turns at the end of photoperiod.
7. 30ppm N, 30ppm K, 3ppm P (EI)
8. Week 50%, tap water (aroud 8dgh + RO water)
9. A lot of plants , please see the attached picture
10. Green - yelowish
11. Angels, tetras, denison barbs, ammano shrimps, snails

So everything was fine. Month ago I removed SAE because they were destroying my moss and today I see small bba on some hardscape, anubias roots, buces roots.
I get 1 point pH drop, drop checked is green-yellowish in every place in the aquarium. I have two suspects, so my fertilizer dosage Macro on Monday and Wednesday, Iron and Micros on Tuesday Thursday and Saturday. I was doing my water changes on fridays, but last two week I did on Thursday, so maybe some ferts shortage? The second one, I started to mix tap water with RO around 6 weeks ago, and after each change I get slightly differen ph (7.0-7.5), but I always configure my pH controller to get 1 point drop, can it be reason?

Attachments

• IMG20240705154854.jpg
    IMG20240705154854.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 43
My opinion: organic overload. Also the tank is starting to choke with all this plant matter preventing proper water flow. You might have dying plant matter at the bottom level of some plants.
I clean it weakly basis. also thing that there is too much flow, becuase maxspect at 60% generates around 5400l/h. And mostly it starts to grow on high flow areas

I clean it weakly basis.
That's great but your tank is 1.6 years old. Unless you do a deep clean/vaccum of the substrate each time or once in a while, organics will invitably accumulate through time despite you doing some weekly maintenance. Also do you clean your canister routinely? Canisters can accumulate a large amount of organics if left unchecked.

And mostly it starts to grow on high flow areas
Yes, BBA does proliferate first in areas where there is flow.

That's great but your tank is 1.6 years old. Unless you do a deep clean/vaccum of the substrate each time or once in a while, organics will invitably accumulate through time despite you doing some weekly maintenance. Also do you clean your canister routinely? Canisters can accumulate a large amount of organics if left unchecked.

Yes, BBA does proliferate first in areas where there is flow.
I dont do deep substrate every week, but lets say once in a month I do it. Additonally with a turkey baster i try to remove waste from plants, and substrate(which goes to sump and cpatured by filter floss). I do not have canister, 250l sump

My observation with BBA in my tanks through the years is that it will always start proliferating when organics accumulate and are in excess, in CO2 or non-CO2 tanks. Organics are not only coming from decomposing plant matter and fish, it also comes from wood which I see you have in multiple locations. Wood will decompose progressively with time releasing organics in the water. Soil also loses its structural integrity and turns into dust with time, which contributes to adding more organics in the water. It's all a matter of things adding up and after 1.6 years, I am not surprised.

I do not have canister, 250l sump
Sorry overlooked that in the OP.

Last edited:
Back