BBA Peroxide dosing

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Carpman, 12 Jul 2019.

1. Carpman

Carpman Member

I have been trying to manage a mass outbreak of the above, my own fault for poor maintenance been really busy over the last few months didn't notice the outbreak of BBA. Last weekend I did a 60% water change and a major trimming of plants (cut a lot of the BBA out) and have been dosing with 38mls daily of hydrogen peroxide following the general advice for clearing the rest of the BBA, I'm currently on Day 6 with the peroxide and I don't see any change.
    Trigon 190 tank, Co2 injection approx 8bps, EI ferts 20mls each per day, lights I think are 8hrs

Attached Files:

2. Aqua sobriquet

Aqua sobriquet Member

I’ve seen a couple of different doses mentioned on YouTube for 3% H2O2. Anyone know anything different?

3C0603C7-2BB2-4A14-8BA0-35D749406750.jpeg CDF04AE5-855F-41F6-B6EC-D94551EDD4A6.jpeg

3. Zeus.

Zeus. Member

Never used it, as better to resolve the issue/issues that caused the condition than treat the symptoms - blackout better option IMO

which surgests its been slowly coming for some time and you unfortunately missed the early signs :arghh: we all have done it ;)

when I do a big trim I do double 50%+ WC as there will be lots of toxins and waste products in the water

Have you cleaned your filter out? or/and turkey blasted the substrate ? whats the filter output and any powerheads?

which tells us nothing unfortunately, have you done a pH profile and what colour does the DC change ?

Cut back photo period to 5 to 6hrs hours max and consider a 3-5 day blackout (no peeping )

4. Carpman

Carpman Member

@Zeus. I think I was the cause:oops:. The tank was going great, maybe a little to great lol. I decided to try and slow things down by adjusting co2 and ferts to about half of original values.The current peroxide dosage is 0.2 per ltr / 1ml per 5ltrs (190ltr tank) = 38ml.
    I have never turned filter or pumps off after dosing. Never read that before today.
    Not cleaned filter for about 4/6 wks, when I did the trimming I did do a lot hand waving over soil and pressing Mc down causing clouds of detritus to shift.
    Filter (Eheim 4+ 350 output approx 1050ltrs ph Coupled with a circulation pump upto 4000ltr ph.
    Not done a profile recently as everything was going great (if it ain't broke dont try and fix it).

Last edited: 12 Jul 2019
  5. Aqua sobriquet

Aqua sobriquet Member

Turning off the filter is presumably to prevent beneficial bacteria being affected?

I had some green dust algae in my 10L Nano so I’ve been adding 1ml of 12% H2O2 with some fresh water once a week. The actual water volume in the tank is 7L. It was daily to start with but weekly seems to be working. Not noticed any detrimental effects. I’m still getting a little brown Algae though so I may stop treatment for a while. I only have plants though, no inhabitants.

6. Zeus.

Zeus. Member

Agree :thumbup: but you changed the injection rate, so with the lower injection rate you may have introduced an unstable [CO2] for the photo period eg it may not have peaked untill 2hrs into the photo period!

7. jkh13

jkh13 Member

Yes, never push the H2O2 into the filter, it will kill all the bacteria. You can run the filter if you remove the bio, some say the flow helps.

8. Carpman

Carpman Member

Yes, this is very true.

If that is correct that, then surely as soon as you turn the filter back on after 1hr period then it is going to do that anyway?

I'm doing a big-ish water change today and clean filter, start my second attempt at peroxide dosing during which I will shut down filtration but will leave circulation pump on for the 1hr period. If I don't see any change in next few days then blackout will be my next step.
    Blackouts, No peeking I know. I'm assuming the inhabitants are fed o_O but how? without letting light in (during dark hrs)

9. Aqua sobriquet

Aqua sobriquet Member

I think the expectation is that after an hour the H2O2 would have done it’s job and broken done into oxygen and water by then.

dw1305 and Carpman like this.
  10. jkh13

jkh13 Member

The idea is it gets broken down in the 1 hour period. I would recommend you use powerheads or an empty filter to get flow in the tank during the the hour to allow to reach all places and break down faster.

Zeus. and Carpman like this.
  11. Carpman

Carpman Member

The latest update, Peroxide didn't work (for me) I don't know why. My second attempt consisted of 4 days .02ml per ltr filtration gas and heater off prior to peroxide administration only powerhead running to circulate peroxide around the tank. I was hoping to have this rectified by now as I'm going on holiday for 2 weeks in ten days so time is getting tight didn't really want it in the tank while I was away. I have now started a 3-day blackout!
    I do a 1 question regarding blackout I feel it may be a bit of a stupid 1 though, Should Gas and ferts be stopped?
    (my thinking is yes as plants are not going to use them because there is no photoperiod)

12. Zeus.

Zeus. Member

All off for blackout, 5 days better than 3 IMO, no peeping

13. Carpman

Carpman Member

Thanks, Zeus, :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:it's Done. If this doesn't work then:( it will just have to wait till I get back from holso_O:eek:.

Zeus. likes this.
  14. Zeus.

Zeus. Member

All off except filter OFC :angelic:

Carpman likes this.