• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bee ID

Conort2

Hi,

Hope everyone is good and keeping cool in this heat!

Noticed this little fella in the garden this evening and haven’t seen a bee like it before similar looking to a honey bee in form and size but is jet black. Any ideas anyone?

Cheers

9FE67DD2-E71B-4D69-A7BE-5EABA2FD141D.png
BA57F72D-08C5-4183-9660-19E7B33F58F4.png
A1C23F18-42A3-46C6-A20E-8A59104506EE.png
186CC70A-9F5B-459E-BC44-AA4C69BE454C.png

According to my trusted insect book, it looks like Xylocopa violacea, mainly seen in the southern counties, non resident. Nests in old timbers. 🙂

I'd wait for Darrel or anyone else to confirm but it looks like a female hairy footed flower bee.

Hi all,
Eryngium is nice, do you know which one it is?
Noticed this little fella in the garden this evening and haven’t seen a bee like it before similar looking to a honey bee in form and size but is jet black. Any ideas anyone?
I think it is a <"Bumble-bee (Bombus sp.)"> and it is definitely a worker, because it is small and collecting pollen, it also looks really worn, so it has lost most of its hair. A few species have "all black" morphs, I'll try and find out which ones.

cheers Darrel

Eryngium is nice, do you know which one it is?
Haven’t got a clue unfortunately Darrell. I’m very much in the newbie phase of gardening . If I like the look of it and find out it’s good for pollinators it’s chucked in, that’s about as good as it gets with me. This one was already planted when we moved in, the bees love it.

Back