• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Been playing with the camera...

aaronnorth

well i thought i would have a mess around with the camera settings and i tooks some decent pics (for me).

fish019.jpg

fish016.jpg

fish007.jpg

fish010.jpg

fish018.jpg

fish012.jpg

fish005.jpg

i added an algae tablet and the whole colony of shrimps come out! Counted about 28:
fish006.jpg

Blue tint:

fish009.jpg

camera is a olympus camedia c-350 (3.2 megapixels) so nothing special so i dont think these are bad for a first time effort :D

i can see you holding the camera in the last photo. try shutting the curtains.

all in all there good mate. i'd watch for the white balance setting. it's in threre somewhere

basicly white balance determines the colour temprature of any photo. usualy most cameras have auto white balance, but sometimes if you set it manualy you often forget to change it.
with out going in to the science it all to do with the kelvin rule

1000-2000 K Candlelight
2500-3500 K Tungsten Bulb (household variety)
3000-4000 K Sunrise/Sunset (clear sky)
4000-5000 K Fluorescent Lamps
5000-5500 K Electronic Flash
5000-6500 K Daylight with Clear Sky (sun overhead)
6500-8000 K Moderately Overcast Sky
9000-10000 K Shade or Heavily Overcast Sky

on most cameras you have some of the above.
you'll see WB within your camera settings somewhere. now for photographing aquariums, this is the most trickiest for the camera depending on what lamp you use. because of the florescent lamps( hence RAW shooting :lol: ;) ) really confuses cameras. just out of interest photographing bluebells is a frikin nightmare. even with manual selection.
you probably dont have raw. but dont worry.

depending on what image editing software you have you can adjust or even get the program to auto colour (photoshop) often looks average IMO.

do experiment, but remeber when shooting jpeg, you'll be stuck with the colour temp.so try and remember white balance selection. :D

Nice captures, I had a 3.2 MP from Fuji that took great macros, look out for the "flower" sign, enable thhat for close up shots. You can also use the flash, just tape a litle piece of white printer paper to cover it to act as a diffusor, try that too ;)

I have took some more, but not of fish, i put some white paper over the flash Paulo, or did you mean the 'glossy' paper?

A toy tractor, i stood it on some paper with a paper background, i also used the table as a tripod
P1010395-1.jpg

This is a flower my mum has,
P1010398-1.jpg

A silver teddy clock we have with an artistic touch :)
P1010407-1.jpg

And while i was walking past the sink i noticed a blue cup and tried Paulo's trick lol :oops: Hope you dont mind!
P1010408-1.jpg

aaronnorth said:
I have took some more, but not of fish, i put some white paper over the flash Paulo, or did you mean the 'glossy' paper?

And while i was walking past the sink i noticed a blue cup and tried Paulo's trick lol :oops: Hope you dont mind!

Just normal printer paper, increase the layers if you still getting too much light, or play with your camera manual settings, increasing/reducing aperture, that will give you lower/higher light levels too. When using the flash don't use high ISO levels that will just create too much grain on compact cameras, ISO 100 will be fine.

Cup trick!! Will sue you for that :p

aaronnorth said:
Doubt i can change the ISO or aperture, if i can what will it look like? If it actually says ISO or f/ then i cant - or i cant find it lol.
can you go into greater depth on these or is there any articles?
Which camera have you got? I did look at the properties of the photos posted but you must edit them on something software that removes the Exif data!

camera is a olympus camedia c-350

Resolution 3.2 Megapixel
Colour Support Colour
Optical Sensor Type CCD
Total Pixels 3,300,000 pixels
Effective Sensor Resolution 3,200,000 pixels
Optical Sensor Size 1/2.5"
Light Sensitivity ISO 400, ISO 64
Digital Zoom 3.3 x
Shooting Modes Panorama mode, frame movie mode
Shooting Programs Landscape, portrait mode, self-portrait, night scene
Special Effects Black & White, Sepia
Max Shutter Speed 1/1000 sec
Min Shutter Speed 2 sec
Exposure Metering Spot, matrix
Exposure Modes Programme, automatic
Exposure Compensation ±2 EV range, in 1/2 EV steps
White Balance Automatic, presets
White Balance Presets Fluorescent, sunlight, tungsten light, overcast
Digital Video Format QuickTime
Still Image Format JPEG
Continuous Shooting Speed 1.5 frames per second
Video Capture QuickTime - 320 x 240 - 15 fps - 48 sec - with 16MB card
QuickTime - 160 x 120 - 15 fps - 211 sec - with 16MB card

Type Zoom lens - 5.8 mm - 17.4 mm - f/3.1-5.2
Focal Length 5.8 mm - 17.4 mm
Focal Length Equivalent to 35mm Camera 35 - 105mm
Focus Adjustment Automatic
Auto Focus TTL contrast detection
Min Focus Range 50 cm
Macro Focus Range 20-50cm
Lens Aperture F/3.1-5.2
Optical Zoom 3 x
Zoom Adjustment Motorised drive
Lens Construction 3 group(s) / 5 element(s)
Features Aspherical lens

Dont know whther you need any of that!? :lol:

Hi Aaron, with that camera there isn't much more you can do to get better photos, what you have already is about the best you can get out of that, don't think you can do any manual settings on that model, just see if there is a macro button (flower icon) to take close up photos, other than that, just keep doing what you done so far.

Didnt think so, i used the macro

The camera is about 5yr old now technology has come a long way since then and the pice for a decent camera would of bee massive, this was £200 when it came out :wideyed:

While in Portugal, there was a mag - 'which digital camera' - there was a lens for £9000! It had some interesting stuff in.

aaronnorth said:
While in Portugal, there was a mag - 'which digital camera' - there was a lens for £9000! It had some interesting stuff in.
Yep there are very very good lenses but they do cost a fortune. The one I want for my camera costs about £700. Have to wait and see. Thinking of selling my Konica-Minolta kit and move to Canon or Nikon, as I have friends that have those brands and would be able to borrow kit from them too, and test things before I buy.

Thinking either the Canon 40d or the Nikon D200

Back