• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Beginnings - Help needed!

With regards to the hairgrass I have planted, should I trim it back immediately to 1cm above the substrate?

4685128485_eef5265f04.jpg

A quick update on the tank.

The background is meant to be a translucent white but doesn't look at all white. It'll be getting replaced with a diffused film from TGM.

Plants seem to be coming on a bit, vivpara melted at the back so will be putting some more in. I'll be doing a big replant in the next few days.

Or you could replace it with a diffuser film from wilko for a 5th of the price... Looks really good!

Thanks garuf, I'm not to happy to be honest. I was originally going to go down a minimal route but jeep adding more plants.

Dunno if there is a wilkinson in Ayrshire, I'll check it out.

You can get it on the internet if not. I wouldn't worry, growing as much as you can is the best way of learning what you can grow and how.

Cheers :thumbup:

I'm still doing 100l water changes daily. Is this going to be slowing the growth or causing any problems? I won't keep it up for ever but I don't mind it at the moment.

I've little or no algae, a few green spots on glass and a little on the hardscape but nothing I'd call a problem.

Hi,
I think daily might be over the top a bit. Not because there is anything wrong with it, but that you can suffer burnout. Try 50% 2X-3X per week. Clean water never slows growth. In fact just the opposite. As long as you're dosing and having good CO2 then this should be fine.

Cheers,

Cheers Clive, I ask because I was wondering about the ferts, I dosing my regular EI ferts, as rcommended by flyfisherman, on mon,wed and Friday with trace on tuesday and Thursday. I was worried that if I was taking 100l out every day that I wouldn't have the right build up of nutrients?

I though my DC was a nice lime green but when putting something White behind it it's actually creeping on the yellow. Everything seems alright though.

Blxya has some nice red flecks through it and the stem plants seem to pearl although the riccia doesn't, grows like mad though.

I guess I could meaure out the ferts so I was dosing every day after the change.

I really like this, seem to have missed it. It has a great feel to it, really refreshing - nice one! :)

Thanks Tom!

I've replaced the background with plain frosted film from wilkinson, cheers Garuf.

I've ordered two new lights to sit on top of the tank so will have 156w available, will I need to up the ferts to keep algae at bay?

Almost certainly, but more importantly the CO2. I don't think you have any issues that could be construed as too little light though, everythings healthy and growing!

Oh yeah, and don't get tricked by the drop checker, keep and eye on the fish and keep upping the co2 till you notice any lethargy then back off a touch, the more co2 the better.

Should I just up my dry fert amounts by 25% for the next batch then?

CO2 flow seems okay throughout the tank, its kinda high I think anyway and as the stocking is low I feel I can get away with a higher level. Air pump at night probably helps.

4704113798_d8a6320a0f.jpg

my new lights arrived as recommended by Geroge, they look really neat, much better than the over hanging ones and means I can get rid of the bars down the back.

Plants seem to be coming on a bit but I keep getting further and further away from my original idea!

Just a wee post to say that the lights have only been on for half the photo period and all the plants have been pearling like mad! Plants that haven't before. Just need to watch for algae!

Seem to be having a few algae issues, really only amongst the blxya, it may gave been in the plants when I put them in. I'm sure it's down to flow and too much light. As it's a really deep tank I think I'll need another powerhead. I was beginning to add a third 39watt t5 for a few hours but think I'll stop. When is it okay to add more light?

Back