• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Beneficial micro fauna

Tanksy

I was wondering, which micro fauna is beneficial in a planted tank and is there a way to add it in the system? I'm not talking about culturing critters like daphnia in a container, but having colonies of different beneficial micro organisms in the tank.
Cheers!

Hi @FrankR

May I suggest that you search UKAPS for "autotrophic", "nitrifying bacteria"and "Archaea"? Then, search for "heterotrophic bacteria". The first of these convert toxic ammonia to non-toxic nitrate. The second (heterotrophic bacteria) convert organic waste into minerals that fertilize the plants. There are also probiotics, which are rarely used by freshwater aquarists. Once we have a better idea of what you are planning, we can then advise of your available options. You can achieve a great deal without needing to purchase any bacterial supplements.

Finally, how to search on UKAPS. At the top RHS of your screen, you will see a magnifying glass search icon. Click on that and go from there.

JPC

Hi all,
I was wondering, which micro fauna is beneficial in a planted tank and is there a way to add it in the system?
I think it will probably build up over time, most established tanks have <"Detritus worms etc"> and if you look at the filter media mulm under a microscope you will find <"plenty of Rotifers and Ciliates">.

You can hasten the process by adding some substrate, or filter mulm, from an established tank, or <"just water/sediment"> from a small pond, water butt (or even a bird bath). Ideally you want a source without fish, but if it did have fish? I wouldn't be too bothered.

I also deliberately introduce some <"tank janitors">.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

I think it will probably build up over time, most established tanks have <"Detritus worms etc"> and if you look at the filter media mulm under a microscope you will find <"plenty of Rotifers and Ciliates">.

You can hasten the process by adding some substrate, or filter mulm, from an established tank, or <"just water/sediment"> from a small pond, water butt (or even a bird bath). Ideally you want a source without fish, but if it did have fish? I wouldn't be too bothered.

I also deliberately introduce some <"tank janitors">.

cheers Darrel
That's exactly what I'm talking about. Copepods, daphnia, seed shrimp, etc. But I'm interested in adding only the "good" bugs. Not only as janitors, but as fish food as well.
So, in order to deliberately introduce them to my system, I just collect some sediment from a small pond? I guess I'm going to need a microscope to identify them.
Cheers!

Hi all,
But I'm interested in adding only the "good" bugs. Not only as janitors, but as fish food as well.
That is the issue, personally I'm willing to take the risk, but against that most/all? of my tanks have/had <"Hydra, Planaria"> and <"Leeches">.

I also had a moment when I thought I might have added the the <"Killer Shrimp">, but fortunately I hadn't.

cheers Darrel

Right! I went to a nearby pond and collected a small jar (~250ml) of sediment and a bottle (500 ml) of water.
I must say, it was a bit of a disappointment. The only living things in there were 1 leech and a couple of mussels. Nothing else moving in the water column or wriggling in the muck. Hmmmm...

Right! I went to a nearby pond and collected a small jar (~250ml) of sediment and a bottle (500 ml) of water.
I must say, it was a bit of a disappointment. The only living things in there were 1 leech and a couple of mussels. Nothing else moving in the water column or wriggling in the muck. Hmmmm...

It’s the things you can’t see that’s imo good for the system. Daphnia gotta eat.

If I buy some live copepods and daphnia, do you reckon they'll survive or multiply in my aquarium?
You have a Fluval 107 on a 30 cm cube, so you water is being cycled roughly 26 times per hour, or roughly every 2 minutes and 20 seconds. Daphnia will simply get sucked into the filter, and how would you feed them. Copepods like cyclops will have less of a tendency to be sucked in because they like to attach to surfaces. Certain smaller species of Ostracods might be okay when they live in the substrates and cannot get swept into the filter.
I add bee pollen or sometimes moist garden soil (link).

I have copepods in the Shrimphaus (Copacetic copepods - Fireplace aquarium) but in this setup there is no filter the water is forced through that would strain them out. I'm not sure where they came from (I suspect with initial shipment of shrimp) but they're interesting to watch. Mostly they are highly jerky white specklike sub-millimetre dots in usually the water column but occasionally on the glass walls of the aquarium. Fish will apparently eat them but Shrimphaus is shrimp only since fish also eat shrimp! If you want this type of visible yet sub-macroscopic resident in your tank you just need to make sure the filter media is corse enough to let them pass through - plastic filter rings or balls would be fine.

Last edited:
Hi all,

The Archaea, Bacteria, Rotifers and Protists etc., that are too small to easily see, but may be important <"for tank stability">.

Cheers Darrel
I should have mentioned that I've dark started my tank for 3 months before planting, so, I guess all the beneficial bacteria are already there.

You have a Fluval 107 on a 30 cm cube, so you water is being cycled roughly 26 times per hour, or roughly every 2 minutes and 20 seconds. Daphnia will simply get sucked into the filter, and how would you feed them. Copepods like cyclops will have less of a tendency to be sucked in because they like to attach to surfaces. Certain smaller species of Ostracods might be okay when they live in the substrates and cannot get swept into the filter.
I add bee pollen or sometimes moist garden soil (link).
Fluval 107 has a flow rate of 550l when empty, I assume the actual flow (taking into account the filter media and the reduced diameter of the lily pipes) is about 2/3 of the manufacturer's figure. That means the water's cycled roughly 13-15 times per hour. But you're right about daphnia getting sucked into the filter.

I have copepods in the Shrimphaus (Copacetic copepods - Fireplace aquarium) but in this setup there is no filter the water is forced through that would strain them out. I'm not sure where they came from (I suspect with initial shipment of shrimp) but they're interesting to watch. Mostly they are highly jerky white specklike sub-millimetre dots in usually the water column but occasionally on the glass walls of the aquarium. Fish will apparently eat them but Shrimphaus is shrimp only since fish also eat shrimp! If you want this type of visible yet sub-microscopic resident in your tank you just need to make sure the filter media is corse enough to let them pass through - plastic filter rings or balls would be fine.
I see your point. The filter media is mainly foam, filter floss and lava rock. So, yeah, the filter floss has to be removed.

Hi all,
I should have mentioned that I've dark started my tank for 3 months before planting, so, I guess all the beneficial bacteria are already there.
This is back to the <"binary switch, cycled - non-cycled"> debate. I'd guess that
Have a look at <"Time and the disappearance of algae">

cheers Darrel

I can't guarantee anything, but you're welcome to a couple cups of the water and whatever might be in there.
That sounds scary :)

Hi all,

This is back to the <"binary switch, cycled - non-cycled"> debate. I'd guess that
Have a look at <"Time and the disappearance of algae">

cheers Darrel
Thank you for the links. I'm aware that my system is not mature/stable yet. That's why I'm trying to increase its biodiversity. Well, as much as possible in a 30 l cube.

So, I had a closer look at the sediment that I collected from the pond. I noticed some trails in the muck. There are living things in there after all. That snail on my hand (last photo) is about 1 mm long.

IMG_5444.jpg IMG_5447.jpg IMG_5448.jpg IMG_5449.jpg IMG_5446.jpg

Back