• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bentosi tetra

Fisher2007

Just wondering what peoples experiences are with Bentosi tetra? Numbers, tank mates, behaviour, shrimp safe, etc

Cheers

I have half a dozen in NatureScape along with several other Hyphessobrycon spp. They've a peaceful temperament, so fine with other similar sized tetras etc, and shrimp safe. They are also quite active and the males often spar and flare amongst themselves which can be quite spectacular. Over all a very beautiful addition to any tank.

Also check out Rosy Tetra in Seriously Fish, which they are often mistaken for and sold as, they are of similar habit and requirement...

experiences are with Bentosi tetra

I have a small group of these. Peaceful but will hold a display area. A bit piggy at feeding time and will intimidate cardinals and rummy nose tetras. I feed two sizes of granular food the larger size first to try and satisfy the Bentosi and then nano granules for the smaller tetras. Corys mop up anything on the substrate.

Bentosi & Rosy Tetras were considered subspecies of each other but are now regarded as distinct species. (Still need to have a group of each side by side to tell them apart.)
I think Bentosi always have a white dorsal flag and Rosies some have and other do not have a white flag.

Mine are mature fish and as with many of the disc shaped tetras can have a largish 'personal space' when fully grown adults.

When small mine were red cherry shrimp safe but not as mature adults. Shrimp population as declined.

In general nice fish but I would only keep them with fish of a similar size or larger. Many more iffy tetras about ie black windows, serpae tretras & bleeding hearts but it depends on the mix of fish.

I am at a cross roads, do I add more to replace deaths from old age or do I wait for the grim reaper to take the remainder and go for larger groups of fish that will be small when adult.
My tank is about 60 to 70 gals net and is heavily planted. Perhaps I will go first, haven't bought fish for years.

Hope this was of some help.

I’ve got 6, great looking fins, display a lot, don’t tend to hide, prob be a good fish to attempt to breed
Mine are with my endlers, don’t bother them, more interested in each other
Greedy feeders, they might attempt to take very small shrimp if given the chance

HTH

Lovely tetra, especially as they display character with males jostling for dominance.

As mentioned not small shrimp safe if you intend on keeping with cherrys, my largest male wiped out a large colony when he matured and got a taste.

I have 12 in a 36x16x16", extremely bold, though not so much for the Ember tetras to appear too bothered. I have 10 males to 2 females (not by choice) which makes for an awful lot of displaying and conflict over territory, though I've never seen any damage to their fins.

Their colours seem to look best under a bit of shade.

Overall a much more manageable alternative to any of the Bleeding Heart types, which I feel need a much more sizeable aquarium to look their best.

Back