• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Berried RCS? No, it's green shrimp fungus.

Niton

Had a quick search but could not see anything that gave an example of a berried red cherry shrimp.

Noticed one of mine looks to have something on its abdomen this evening. Can anyone identify if it is berried or something else that I need to attend to? It looks very green before it's swimming fins. IMG_20181115_203854.jpg IMG_20181115_203857.jpg IMG_20181115_203859.jpg IMG_20181115_204120.jpg IMG_20181115_204141.jpg

Hopefully the attached photos give a clear enough picture

Hard to tell from the pics you have uploaded. But she looks berried to me.

Cheers lee

Yup agree with above, it looks like Ellobiopsidae. One of my RCS got infected a few months ago, was a new one at least and no other shrimp have been infected since. Are these new shrimp?

I didn't have a spare tank but separated into a bucket with heater, as read about the parasite spreading quite rapidly if left in the tank to others. Tried treating with a general ich/parasite treatment but only lasted 2 days before it died.

Yea i read around as well when treating so wasn't hopeful. Hopefully you have a better outcome

You should report this back to the seller - this is a pre-existing condition and you should receive a refund
I’d avoid shrimp from this seller as, since they didn’t notice on the first group, chances are you will receive more infected shrimp
Even if new shrimp shipments are “clean” they will be exposed in the tanks upon arrival

Hopefully the others are ok. i'd keep a close eye over the next few weeks and separate any other infected ones as soon as you see anything

Happy update on this. There have been no further cases of green fungus. And I am pleased to say that 3 of the cherry shrimps are carrying eggs. I've scrutinised them for signs of fungus and by comparison the shrimp are showing all the signs of carrying eggs (constantly pushing water over the eggs) and I can see clearly defined egg shapes through the carapace.

IMG_20181227_160842.jpg IMG_20181227_160737.jpg

Back