• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Best ‘substrate’ for practicing scapes?

bushaaayyy

Recently acquired about 25kg of seiryu stone for my future scape. I plan to knock up a dojo/sandpit to practice my scapes in, but I’d like to be able to do it inside as it’s so cold out atm.

What’s a good material to use to replicate the substrate? Considered using sand but don’t want to make a mess spreading loads of sand grains around while I’m placing rocks in and out constantly.

Would like something with a larger ‘grain’ size that hopefully won’t stick to the rocks to much. Anyone have any suggestions?

Crushed pumice. Abou £30 For 25kg off amazon.
Like the idea of this because I assume it would be lighter so easier to cart the dojo around. But a bit pricey for something I’m only going to get one use from

mmm, you can use it as a sub layer to build height in the aquarium itself too. And 25kg goes quite a long way. Personally i think it was worth it.

Yep, makes an excellent base layer if, good for water circulation, bacterial colonies, and I believe it has a good CEC so will hold and release nutrients.

Back