Best Algae Eating Snail?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by AdAndrews, 11 Jun 2009.

1. AdAndrews

AdAndrews Member

I have a 35litre tank and want to know which are the suitable and most prolific algae eating snails, nerites? i dont want to have loads, only a few and would prefer if they didnt breed and make a mess lol, is there any suitable?

2. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

nerites are your best bet. excellent for getting stubborn algae of rocks too. :D

3. Superman

Superman Member

Yup, nerites are great and don't reproduce in non brackish water, but they will leave white eggs around the place which are a pain to remove.
    There's a large range of different ones too.

4. AdAndrews

AdAndrews Member

ok, thanks guys, its coz originally i was thinking about having otto's, but i think snails will suit better.. so i am getting some cherrys off london dragon(20), then if i get about 3 snails(is that enough, too much?) and then i just need to find a nano fish, like max 1inch shoalers, either blue, plain like black neons, or red

will pretty much any snail do then?

5. Superman

Superman Member

Tbh, if you're getting shrimp you might not need a snail. My cherry shrimps have cleaned up everything super quick!

6. a1Matt

a1Matt Member

I'd echo that. Maybe worth leaving the shrimps in place for a week or two and then seeing how things look then.

7. AdAndrews

AdAndrews Member

i was just thinking about the glass, do the shrimp eat green spot algae and diatoms(if im lucky i wont have any, but just incase)

thanks

8. Superman

Superman Member

I see the shrimp walking up the glass but they don't clean it as much as the rock.
    Where the pest snails go, it's crystal clear so having a snail could help with that.

9. AdAndrews

AdAndrews Member

ok, spose i will see how i go with the shrimp
    do you think 20 shrimp for a 35litre is a bit too much, they will be juvi's

10. rawr

rawr Member

It depends what the rest of the stocking is, but they should be fine. If you are referring to Cherry Shrimp, be aware that they will soon breed prolifically.

11. AdAndrews

AdAndrews Member

ok, thanks. it is cherrys, but i will figure a way of controlling them, the other possible stocking is:

2 snails(if needed)
    some small nano sized shoalers, not sure of species- probably max a couple of cm's