• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Best Algae Eating Snail?

AdAndrews

I have a 35litre tank and want to know which are the suitable and most prolific algae eating snails, nerites? i dont want to have loads, only a few and would prefer if they didnt breed and make a mess lol, is there any suitable?

ok, thanks guys, its coz originally i was thinking about having otto's, but i think snails will suit better.. so i am getting some cherrys off london dragon(20), then if i get about 3 snails(is that enough, too much?) and then i just need to find a nano fish, like max 1inch shoalers, either blue, plain like black neons, or red

will pretty much any snail do then?

Superman said:
Tbh, if you're getting shrimp you might not need a snail. My cherry shrimps have cleaned up everything super quick!

I'd echo that. Maybe worth leaving the shrimps in place for a week or two and then seeing how things look then.

i was just thinking about the glass, do the shrimp eat green spot algae and diatoms(if im lucky i wont have any, but just incase)

thanks

AdAndrews said:
ok, spose i will see how i go with the shrimp
do you think 20 shrimp for a 35litre is a bit too much, they will be juvi's

It depends what the rest of the stocking is, but they should be fine. If you are referring to Cherry Shrimp, be aware that they will soon breed prolifically.

ok, thanks. it is cherrys, but i will figure a way of controlling them, the other possible stocking is:

2 snails(if needed)
some small nano sized shoalers, not sure of species- probably max a couple of cm's

Back