• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Best all around substrate for Monte Carlo in low tech tank?

Just setting up a new planted aquarium now after running marine for past 2-3 years.
On my last planted aquarium I grew monte carlo carpet with ease, just using play sand as my substrate. Used easy carbo liquid Co2 and root tabs and it grew like weeds

Thanks, yes it is pea gravel in a filter media bag to get the height I needed for the scape.
Yeah I can’t wait to set up a scape when I redo this tank! Thanks again for all the help. I will post a journal when I start my dirtied tank!

Just setting up a new planted aquarium now after running marine for past 2-3 years.
On my last planted aquarium I grew monte carlo carpet with ease, just using play sand as my substrate. Used easy carbo liquid Co2 and root tabs and it grew like weeds
Thank you very encouraging! I really like that look of carpeted MC! I’m hoping if I dirt it and water column fert I won’t need to use root tabs! Thanks for the info! Makes me feel better trying it without co2!

Last edited:
What light did you use to grow and if LED what was the brightness set at? I don’t want to risk a algae problem since I’m not using co2!

Thank you very encouraging! I really like that look of carpeted MC! I’m hoping if I dirt it and water column fert I won’t need to use root tans! Thanks for the info! Makes me feel better trying it without co2!
I did use the easy carbo liquid Co2 stuff, and seemed to work very well. Just wanted a simple setup

What are them light like? Tempted, but haven't heard of them. Had a quick look online and some saying the Chihiros A series would be better option for plants?

What are them light like? Tempted, but haven't heard of them. Had a quick look online and some saying the Chihiros A series would be better option for plants?
It’s my first led. I had a old fluorescent bulb in a hood. So I don’t know how much better they are compared to other led’s but from what I researched they have a pretty Big Bang for their buck! I instantly noticed the colors of my cardinal tetras popped more and looked great. Especially the reds! I think the a series is brighter and has a higher par but the rgb is still pretty bright with good par! I haven’t grown high light plants with it but plan on doing so! I’m currently raising the brightness to get my red root floaters red! I’m at 52% so far and I’m trying to avoid algae since I don’t use co2. I do plan on growing some red plants like Ludwigia palastrius later and carpeting Monte Carlo hopefully once I dirt the tank. Only then will I know if the light gets bright enough compared to the a series! I love the light so far!

What's the actual length of the 60? Btw
My tank is 30 inches long and I believe it’s supposed to be good from 60 to 80cm’s. I also have the commander one hooked up to it and the sunrise/sunset function works pretty well. Especially for price I got it on AIexpress!

Just ended up picking up a ocean revive t247 full spectrum led unit on way home from work. Is primarily a marine unit, but read of people with great results using it. Blues are on seperate channel so I'll have them real low

Thanks, yes it is pea gravel in a filter media bag to get the height I needed for the scape.
Would I be able to use the old gravel I’m using now in a media bag to get height where I want it once I redo the tank and dirt it? It would be the white and river rock mix I have in my pics I’m using as substrate now. Also do you or anyone know of shading material in the states I could use to go over the dirt? We don’t have the one you use over here. Thanks again for any help.

Yes that should be fine. It looks like it's mostly inert silicates. Sorry I can't help you with a similar mesh material in the States but Google will turn up results; persistence pays off.

Yes that should be fine. It looks like it's mostly inert silicates. Sorry I can't help you with a similar mesh material in the States but Google will turn up results; persistence pays off.
No worries! Thanks for all the help. I do research, research, and then more research before I do something usually. Good to know I can repurpose the old gravel instead of buying new stuff to get height for the scape I want to do!

Wow look at that, thought of another question. Sorry but was wondering if you also left a gap at the back of that tank with dirt you sent me the pic of? Or does the dirt go up against the glass at the back and just not the front and sides? I can’t really tell in that pic so had to ask haha!

Back