• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Best all in one nano setup

Deano3

Hi everyone hope things are well, i am wanting a nano tank for my kitchen counter something easy and low ish maintence , sold the 60f etc as disnt have time with 2 kids running around and banging it haha but now want a small tank for a few fiah maybe even a betta as love them but could i have anuthing else with it ? Shrimp or any other fish

Also what opinions on a small 10-20l aquarium all in one, want rimless and a smart looking thing, was looking at denerle 10 or 20l but not aure about the rounded front edge also would prefer a rectangle rather than a cube shape like a mini m type shape any ideas what is best

Also will be low tech but planted and will dose ferts

Like i say hope everyone is doing well and glad to be back

Thanks dean

Hi Dean

I only have small tanks (60, 28 and 25 liters) and I think they are great. There is a huge difference in terms of maintenance (I clean and change 50% of my 25 liters tank in a few minutes).
However, you will find serious limitations with these small tanks for having fish. Shrimps will feel much better in that volume and will be a perfect cleaning crew if you don't have too much time. All my tanks are rimless (it is now easier to find reasonable priced rimless tanks), actually one of them is a knock-off mini M with a dimmeable Chihiro's LED (ADA AquaSky knock-off)... and it is perfect for growing any plant you like. Buy the best filter you can afford (in my case a JBL e401, probably too much for this tank, but gives me enough flow and filtering volume even when I cannot do a weekly maintenance for work reasons). I have always find much more difficult to create a balanced composition in a cube that in a rectangle, but I guess it depends on the style you want and your skills

Jordi

Check out tanks by aqua one, they have fantastic compartments at the back of their nano tanks; housing impressive sized types of filtration, as well as space for heaters, pumps etc. They get my vote

Thanks for all your recommendations everyone, I do like a tectangle shape over a cube and also Andy when you become a moderator ? Hope our Ada style stand page is still busy haha I got rid of my stand as no longer need but know who to see when making another in future Also I was looking at the enheim aqua style 16 as mentioned above and it is nice but I am not a huge fan of curved glass edges.

Andy well don't that tank wins my vote at the minute it's stunning I must say very modern design so going to look more into that one, any one any experience with the flex mini ?

Lastly I will be dosing EI weekly I imagine and dosing liquid co2,( still got 2 full fire extinguishers and my regulator keep for when eventually get a larger tank rather than selling it) when you think for a small nano like this maybe a betts or a few very small fish and shrimp ?

Thought I recognised this just relised George farmer done a few vids of it just busy watching them

Thanks everyone dean

I don't have the full set but I do have the Flexi-M light and it's excellent, that maidenhead exclusive is a good price just for the light IMO, let alone the tank

I am defently getting the flexi mini m as a stunning little tank so now onto other questions, stocking hhhmmmmm I absolutely loved my green neon tetras in my other tank but the smaller the better for this and shrimp maybe or do I just get a beta but would look odd in a scraped aquarium as want to do a mountain scape

Nano tanks look better without fish.

If putting in fauna, micro rasboras, a much rarer shrimp or a dumbo betta.

Tank is 32cm x 21 x 24 (H) so I'd add small fish (probably), definitely begin with some colorful shrimp though & see if you still want fish after

If you only add a single male & a trio of females, clown killifish might be a consideration - girls remain quite a bit smaller than the male

Similar harem of scarlet badis might work

Some of the Parosphromenous may do OK

It depends somewhat on filtration you choose :)

(I very much dislike the rounded edges on tanks)

Thanks for reply will go with a small size shrimp first, never had much luck with shrimp but will give them a go used to jump , then maybe bororas or something very small,

What filter would you recommend for sick a small tank , want a external and preferably thermo filter so don't have to have heater in tank, would also prefer small pipes can you get smaller thank the normal 13mm pipes and lilly pipes on a filter ?

Thanks dean

In case you missed this thread :)

Do you need a heater? many shrimp (& some fish) do well at cooler temps (though not as cool as my house so I need to add heaters :oops: )

I'd've suggested an Eheim Classic 150 (I picked up the kit with valves & various filter media included) but if you want a thermo, Eheim offers this in their Pro 4 + 250T
I'm not in the UK so don't know what other brands might be available ...

(I finally started up the Pro 4 I picked up a few months ago, now I want to switch out all my Pro 3's :eek: this filter runs v.e.r.y quiet even on reduced or stopped flow! & the flow adapter lever completely lacks the "sticky" factor of the Pro 3's , the new grey hose & tubes are much less notable ... be interesting to see if Eheim switches all their filters over to this color hose/tube)

If you decide to step down the tubing size, I'd do this through a valve first to reduce flow in order to avoid pressure on the hose/glass connections - I'd not want to use hose clamps on the glass (too visible & chance of cracking the glass when tightening) but wouldn't trust the connection 24/7 over extended time.

Back