• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Best/cheapest way to attach moss to something

sr20det

Seen a lot of moss that comes on mesh, now I bought some moss, which soon as I put into water split into loads of small pieces, assume it was trimming/cuttings I bought. Wasnt attached to anything.

Anyhow, without having to spend loads on buying stuff to stick it too which in counter productive seeing I can get 4x4 mesh pieces of the moss, or similar for about 5 squids. One option is to attach it to rockwork? using cotton thread? but they are such small pieces I think i would need a lot of thread?

Any ideas anyone?

just tie it on with sewing thread. Or use superglue- not sure which one though.

Tights or those loofah/sponge/shower flower things if you want a carpetted kind of look on the object.
Just black or dark green COTTON thread if you want it to look more freely growing. Use cotton as it will eventually rot away so no removal at later stages.

If it's all trimmings, I'd recommend using Amanos technique. Chop it up very fine, then "paint" onto the object. Grow it emersed and in a week or two it will have taken hold.

KrisHumphreys1991 said:
Tights or those loofah/sponge/shower flower things if you want a carpetted kind of look on the object.
Just black or dark green COTTON thread if you want it to look more freely growing. Use cotton as it will eventually rot away so no removal at later stages.

If it's all trimmings, I'd recommend using Amanos technique. Chop it up very fine, then "paint" onto the object. Grow it emersed and in a week or two it will have taken hold.

Paint?, sounds interesting, keen to know how that is done. I have brown cotton, just need some stones to attach too. Shower cap sounds interesting. Next time I'm in a hotel will grab.

I got some bog wood, want to attach to that. So string might be best, I hear I can.use super glue?

Thanks

do a search for superglue and moss in the forum. Plenty use it but not sure which one. I use cotton. Simple and easy.

I'd stick with cotton then for the bogwood.

Superglue has to be the gel kind and leaves a white mark in the wood, also its more suited to fissidens!

Thanks guys, used some superglue to stick some java fern to slate, was spot on, used cotton to attach x-mas moss to bog wood, have a load of fissedens which will be cotton attached to pieces of slate, and placed into tank hopefully.

Will be popping into B&Q as they do tonnes of garden slate for bedding in small forms IIRC. Wonder if they will give me a sample.

Back