• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Best external for 125?

Sacha

I am sick of my crappy APS external filter. It's rated at 1400 lph. I calculated the actual flow a while back, it was more like 400 lph!

I need a lot better flow than that. At the moment I run the external alongside a Juwel internal with 1000 lph pump. I am looking for a good reliable external that won't leak, and will provide very good flow, reliably.

Bear in mind the flow will be slowed down by an inline atomizer, and a coarse sponge wrapped around the intake.

Any recommendations welcome.

Ehiem 2073, is a great filter...I had a jbl 900 running alongside my jewel internal in a trigon 190 and that worked well also.

1050lph

+1 for eheim definately the best, great flow but you do pay for it. Cant comment on jbl because i haven't owned one but they seem highly rated on here. All the rest that I've seen/used pretty much suck, fluval have good flow but dont feel like there made well enough for the money.
Before you buy a new filter make your hoses as short and straight as possible this will gain you lots of flow without spending any money

What's maintenance like on the Eheims? Are they self- priming?

I am more inclined to get a professional because of the integrated heater.

My current filter sometimes takes 30 minutes of hard pushing to prime.

Maybe i am to old, but i never saw the use of priming. Keeping tanks means sucking up tank water:p. Just have a eheim hose coupling on both in and out, easy peasy.
Eheim_dubbelkraan.jpg

Turn the things with the red EHEIM letter a quart, thus closing the flow. Then you can unscrew both parts in the middle. This way you can disconnect the filter from the hoses without a drop spilled. Take away the filter, clean it, connect in hose first, suck on the out part from the filter to get flow going, connect out part let it fill, turn on power, voila it runs.

If you can manage to put pipework togeather without opening the taps(my cabinet holes are not big enough) or spilling any, you can just fill the inlet pipe with water screw the pipes back togeather and open the taps to restart the siphon easy peasy just make sure the filter has no water in it first or this wont work[DOUBLEPOST=1406719980][/DOUBLEPOST]
You don't have to suck the water to prime a filter. Just detach the pipe at inlet bend and fill that tube with water from the tank using a funnel.

I'm impressed with the Aqua Vital AVEX1000 but only had it a month so don't know what it will be like long term.
Funnel? I must be lazy. Open tap,submerge in tank, close tap, remove from tank, reconnect and open tap.

I also consider self priming not to be an indispensable feature.
it's perhaps useful for the first time one installs the filter - I remember having problems starting an eheim 2224 cca 6 years ago, but at the same time I was a beginner back then.

2 useful tips:
- always have water in the hoses (either leave it there while cleaning the filter or fill the hoses with water before installing them)
- always fill the filter with water before connecting it

gravity does the rest.

Oh dear. Didn't realise the Eheims were so expensive. I'm looking at at least £200 new.

Before I do take the plunge with a new filter, I think it's worth one last shot at trying to squeeze a bit more flow out of the APS. Is there a list somewhere of all the steps one can take to fully maximize flow from an external?

Yes they are expensive but when you get one you'll be gald you did and as edvet says you can get spares everywhere and they run forever

In simple terms
Use minimal media, your plants will use ammonia and nitrite
Reduce the head height
Reduce the length of the hoses
The hoses should be as straight as possible
Keep hoses, taps etc clean

I have used these with a diy spraybar and a co2 ceramic diffuser under the inlet
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/261278827789?nav=SEARCH
Which works very well if you dont mind lemonade and can be hidden behind a big bush quite easily

Hi all,
I agree with "Edvet" and "Big Clown", Eheim filters with double taps and lung power, and most of the time I just clean the hoses, without losing the siphon.

Whenever any-one talks about filters or I contemplate too much of an investment in one, I remember Clive's description of them as "a pump in a bucket".

The trouble with all the other external filters that I've owned is however good they are when you get them, a few years down the line you can't get spares or parts for them and have to throw them away.

All my external filters are now pre-owned Eheims. I really like Eheim Classics and the 222n series, they are simple and robust, but I'm not so keen on the Ecco's, lower build quality, too many seals etc and I won't buy any more of these.

I haven't tried any of the newer Eheim filters, but I'm not keen on anything too complex or electronic.

cheers Darrel

Thanks for all the advice and interesting discussion guys!

I was thinking today. It's theoretically possible for me to connect the outlet pipe from the internal Juwel filter to the spray bar of the external. What would happen if I did that? Would they both function as one filter or would they be working against each other? As the flow from the internal would be coming in the opposite end of the spray bar as the flow from the external.

Back