• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Best Filtration for keeping vast amounts of Shrimps (Brackish)

Hi Back again!
right I have built a new building to house my pond which is approx 15000 litres I have a fibreglass tank filled with trays of alfragrog with a 20000 litre canister pre filter pumping up to a spray bar over some matting. It all seems to be working fine apart from the water is going yellow with high ammonia the shrimps are all looking fine. i was thinking of halving the alfrafrog and keeping it submerged and then using jap mat in trays exposed to the air sprayed with the pre filtered water from spray bar see picture of current set-up any ideas for a better trickle filter ? cheers Steve
rsz_20160530_155937.jpg

I would change the grog for plastic media of some kind bac ball plastic pipes.In my experiance alfagrog is a decent media when new but once the pores become clogged it very quickly becomes anerobic.Even in a shower.

I would change the grog for plastic media of some kind bac ball plastic pipes.In my experiance alfagrog is a decent media when new but once the pores become clogged it very quickly becomes anerobic.Even in a shower.

Hi Yes I think you are right I have to wash it out (grog) quite often now which is a pain and the water is full of dirt. I think it is best if I keep a couple of tray submersed (Anerobic) and use more jap mat and bio-balls etc with water showing over these, also I get a lot of Foam on top of the water when I feed the shrimps I assume this is good and my filter is working? be it not as efficient as it should as I have to do large water changes every week as I sometimes hold up to 70,000 shrimps ready for sale and they do pollute.
Thanks for your input Steve

yes i used to have a baci showered pond. I used to get the foam too in my skimmer.Its the method with the water over the shower it basically smashes the dissolved organic from the water.Hence the doc foam.
You should see your nitrates fall using this method too.

There seem to be plenty of room for improvement to your present design.
In an ideal world you would have perforated sheets between each tray, the sheets would have to be designed to distribute the water evenly over the bio media.
It is important to drip the water evenly & consistently over the media to get the best results.
The problem with using foam above the media means the water will have a poor distribution over the bio media.
You could try using baked clay balls in the top tray with foam over the top, that might form a more even trickle flow.
If you submerge any of the bio media it will not perform as well!
Also keeping the whole filter system in the dark might improve the performance as well.
Good effort though :)

What do you feed the shrimps ?
I would use filter foam sheets cut to fit on top of each tray of grog
If you don't have anything to catch the larger debris it will just circulate

Regards
Dean
Hi I use any pond floating food sometimes live bloodworm they are scavengers so will eat most things

There seem to be plenty of room for improvement to your present design.
In an ideal world you would have perforated sheets between each tray, the sheets would have to be designed to distribute the water evenly over the bio media.
It is important to drip the water evenly & consistently over the media to get the best results.
The problem with using foam above the media means the water will have a poor distribution over the bio media.
You could try using baked clay balls in the top tray with foam over the top, that might form a more even trickle flow.
If you submerge any of the bio media it will not perform as well!
Also keeping the whole filter system in the dark might improve the performance as well.
Good effort though :)
Thank you :)

Back