• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Best freebie?

Kevin Eades

What is the best freebie you have had in the hobby? I think mine so far is my cherry shrimp. I got 3 baby dot hitch hikers when I bought my armano shrimp and now I have 4 tanks with armies of them in them. Would love to see what you guys have had free or found extras you weren't expecting? Here's some pics of the armies at work

Attachments

• 20210426_192826.jpg
    20210426_192826.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 541
  • 20210426_192838.jpg
    20210426_192838.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 158
  • 20210426_192855.jpg
    20210426_192855.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 159
  • 20210426_192903.jpg
    20210426_192903.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 182
  • 20210426_192928.jpg
    20210426_192928.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 174
  • 20210426_192933.jpg
    20210426_192933.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 173
Best freebie for me was Mister Apister. He was bought by my dad for his 45L tank after reading that would be enough space somewhere on the internet. He bought the fish, who stayed in the 45L a week, which I visited a lot more than usual since he was so captivating and mysterious (I hadn't kept apistos before and didn't realise how lovely they are and felt very jealous), and at the end of the week my dad gave him to me because it was obvious that he looked too glorious, large, and cramped in the 45L. And thus began my love affair with apistos...

Now I give his babies to people as freebies, long live the Mr Apister Juniors! Very happy that they are already featured here!! 😍

Here is a photo which, as lovely as he looks here, does Mister Apister no justice at all compared to how regal and colorful he was irl... I'm very glad his offspring have gone to homes with great photographers!

IMG_20201124_181033_1.jpg

Best freebie for me was Mister Apister. He was bought by my dad for his 45L tank after reading that would be enough space somewhere on the internet. He bought the fish, who stayed in the 45L a week, which I visited a lot more than usual since he was so captivating and mysterious (I hadn't kept apistos before and didn't realise how lovely they are and felt very jealous), and at the end of the week my dad gave him to me because it was obvious that he looked too glorious, large, and cramped in the 45L. And thus began my love affair with apistos...

Now I give his babies to people as freebies, long live the Mr Apister Juniors! Very happy that they are already featured here!! 😍

Here is a photo which, as lovely as he looks here, does Mister Apister no justice at all compared to how regal and colorful he was irl... I'm very glad his offspring have gone to homes with great photographers!

View attachment 167509
Beautiful fish. I'd love to have them but dealing with the offspring reminds me of why I'll never get guppies again.

Not freshwater but in marine I had lots of lovely freebies but the best were mantis shrimps. I kept them in dedicated tanks and had 9 running at one time (was known in the local area for taking them in) till I managed to rehome a few to fellow enthusiasts. They are fascinating creatures with some strange but cool biological features.

Beautiful fish. I'd love to have them but dealing with the offspring reminds me of why I'll never get guppies again.
I'm hoping a larger tank to avoid aggression and some schooling fish to eat most of the babies might make this not too bad. I've loved raising the first brood, but it is quite a lot of effort! (and by quite a lot of effort I mean SO MUCH EFFORT)

Last edited:
I used to raise 600-1000 babies a month. :)
Mostly Angelfish, and several species of Apistos.
On that scale you need to get things well organised, but it's still a lot of work. :)
😱 Wow!! That's a LOT of BBS!! I found raising 36 exhausting 😂

Very fascinating, I would love to hear about it how it all worked and what the best ways of raising them you found were.

Subscribing to Practical Fishkeeping special offer of free Fluval U3 seiries filter🙂 Considering the magazine well worth it anyhow

Back