• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Best moss carpet?

Dural

Seedling
I'm going to be growing a moss carpet for part of my 35L tank, i was just wondering if anyone has any experience doing this, and which type of moss would look best and easy to manage?

Dural said:
I'm going to be growing a moss carpet for part of my 35L tank, i was just wondering if anyone has any experience doing this, and which type of moss would look best and easy to manage?
Best is the Fissidens Fontanus, I have this in my shrimp tank (click link in signature to see it, last pages) and its amazing! It did take me about 6 months to get to that size, but now only needs a trim once every 3-4 months lol you can't get any lower maintnance than that ;)
All other mosses are ok for carpets but they do collet a lot of stuff in them so you need good flow to the moss and syphoning it once or twice a week is a must if you want to keep it nice and healthy, shrimp in the tank help, my shrimp tank has no algae :)

Cool, well i've had a quick look online and i cant seem to find any Fissidens Fontanus, where did you get it from?

It's sometimes called Phoenix moss in the US I believe. Many of us have had to import it from places like malaysia/hong kong etc. One of our sponsors, Aquatic Magic usually carry it on their ebay store :)

Yeah i've been looking at Aquatic magic on ebay and could only find Fissidens splachnobryoides that looks similar. However, doing a search on this it seems that it hasnt been growing well for many people and some have suggested it should only be grown emerged.

Dural said:
Yeah i've been looking at Aquatic magic on ebay and could only find Fissidens splachnobryoides that looks similar. However, doing a search on this it seems that it hasnt been growing well for many people and some have suggested it should only be grown emerged.
Yeah, don't get that one or you will be wasting your money has I did hehe I got it from a forum member before and have since sent to a few people here also, I might have some in a few weeks time when I trim my carpet. Its not easy to come by online and usually very expensive.

I thought so. Well i'd love some in a few weeks if you're offering ;) , obviously i'd pay or donate. :D

Dural said:
I thought so. Well i'd love some in a few weeks if you're offering ;) , obviously i'd pay or donate. :D
I will keep you in mind, I don't charge for cuttings of plants that were initially donated to me, so a donation is all I would ask when the time comes ;)

Back