• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Best moss for moss wall

Spider Pig

What is the best moss for a moss wall? I was thinking about either weeping moss or christmas moss. The latter looks better in photos but I see in the tropica catalogue that it is rated as being difficult to grow.

Spider Pig said:
What is the best moss for a moss wall? I was thinking about either weeping moss or christmas moss. The latter looks better in photos but I see in the tropica catalogue that it is rated as being difficult to grow.
Check the journal in my sig, I use weeping moss wall in my tank, grows pretty nice and fast, I am growing some xmas moss now too on my other tank to try that as a wall also, so see which I like best.
If you want I can take some closer shots of the moss wall and post them here.

That would be useful thanks. I saw your weeping moss wall, and that's what got me thinking about weeping moss. But a few of the other pictures I've seen have used christmas moss. From the pics christmas moss looks nicer, but would be reluctant to try that first if it's hard to grow. Don't want to end up with a dirty brown mat.

Here a photo of the moss wall, water wasn't the clearest as I was messing around in the tank prunning and stuff.

pict0255po9.jpg

Xmas moss is growing pretty well in my low tech tank.

Looks really nice. Seen your other posts of the spiky moss- look good too.

Just ordered stuff from greenline- quite a good selection of mosses and reasonable prices too. Opted for weeping, taiwan and pelia. Thought I would try out the taiwan moss as I saw that it had been used effectively in moss walls and read that taxiphyllum species grow faster than vesicularia- so thought it would be quicker to make a moss wall with this. May be swap some in the future if I have some excess.

Would love some if you can spare it. Just set up my tank (in the journals section) not without its hitches unfortunately. Trying out the taiwan and christmas moss, and pelia. I've not started a moss wall yet but would be useful to grow on some moss so I have enough to fill it out. Let me know how you want to do this and I can pm you details.

I have Taiwan moss and it grows pretty fast for me. I give away\swap\sell a portion every two weeks on average for a few months now.

I recall seeing a shop somewhere selling Taiwan and Peacock moss as one and the same moss. Not sure if this is accurate. I have 5 different mosses on a windowsill in separate tubs and it sure is hard to tell the difference between some of them without getting up close and squinting!

Good luck with the wall :)

Back