• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Best nano tank?

Miniandy

Hi, I wanted to get a second tank and for it to be smaller than my main. What would you recommend on the Nano size frame?

I had been considering a Dennerle Nanocube 60L - Dimensions (W x D x H): 38 x 38 x 43 cm. I liked the idea of it being slightly taller than wide.

However, in my searches I have also noticed there is a Dennerle Nano ScapersTank 70L - Dimensions (W x D x H): 50 x 39 x 36 cm. Looks more conventional in aspect ratio, like a miniature standard tank (not quite, but close) and has left me in a quandary.

I would really appreciate input as I've not had a small tank to scape before and wanted to get some thoughts.

I cant recommend one as such but for ease of planting a cube style would be better . Giving more room front glass to back. All my small tanks are just cheap generic

Can't go wrong with Dennerle, they really are superb tanks for scaping. The 55 is a really nice size.

Alternatively if you're going smaller but want opti white glass, ADA mini M would be one of my first choices!

I bought a dennerle nano cube recently to use as a quarantine/breeding tank and I can’t fault it. Nice little tank for the price. I believe they also do them in an opti white version now too.

20210310_192637.jpg

Not a particularly good photo and a worse scape but this is a 70l

I've had the 55 scapers tank for a few years now, its a great size and aspect ratio with the added planting depth in regards to other tank brands. The larger one offers more options for fish choice. But I'm sure the cube offers plenty of value as well but might limit your fish choices somewhat (less swimming space). But not so much that it would be a real issue, so I'd base my choice more on where it is going to be placed, what shape suits that spot, and what kind of setup do you have in mind?

Really best is relative to your tastes and the quality of the aquarium. Quality wise the spendy options ADA etc are going to be “best” in terms of finish.
The dimensions however might not be to your taste or suit the scape style you have in mind.
I just bought a dennerle 55l white glass and it’s very nice in quality, I think however it is a little too tall to be a true “scapers tank” as height forces your scape to go less horizontal and more vertical and this tends to not suit panoramic scapes/common iwagumi. That said, the extra volume is very nice.
I also have a fake ADA with the same dimensions as the 45p and before that had a 45x30x30 and I think these are more versatile and as such easier to work with for most people.

Further to that, I have the dennerle cube dimensioned 30l and it isn’t as easy to scape in as the “true” 30cm cube I had in the past. To get around it I’ve used a much deeper layer of substrate than I’d like and a lower water level.

Really best is relative to your tastes and the quality of the aquarium. Quality wise the spendy options ADA etc are going to be “best” in terms of finish.
The dimensions however might not be to your taste or suit the scape style you have in mind.
I just bought a dennerle 55l white glass and it’s very nice in quality, I think however it is a little too tall to be a true “scapers tank” as height forces your scape to go less horizontal and more vertical and this tends to not suit panoramic scapes/common iwagumi. That said, the extra volume is very nice.
I also have a fake ADA with the same dimensions as the 45p and before that had a 45x30x30 and I think these are more versatile and as such easier to work with for most people.

Further to that, I have the dennerle cube dimensioned 30l and it isn’t as easy to scape in as the “true” 30cm cube I had in the past. To get around it I’ve used a much deeper layer of substrate than I’d like and a lower water level.

I also have a fake 45p, it's a really enjoyable tank to work with!

Give some thought to what kind of plants you want to keep as well. If you plan on lots of stems a taller tank might suit you better.

I like long tanks but I wish I had a bit more height since the stems are hard to manage. Picture below is a 20 gallon long (about 75 liters) a popular tank size in the US.
6013565cc2aa3165810df95cf37eb49d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

I really like your underwater "tree" effect on the left. How did you manage that?
It's one of those horrifically expensive 'bonsai' driftwood which I then put lots of java fern in.
I also tried it with stems and it looked good to start but they went leggy pretty quick and the inner leaves died back.
20210321_141854.jpg

20210412_190606.jpg

Back