• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Best tank?

Paulthewitt

Hi all
Looking to buy a 80-90cm wide tank.
What would you say are the best ones for aquascaping?

I have small kids so would prefer covered (or how to cover open ones). But don’t l
Also - I will be buying second hand - so this is to assist my endless ebay and FB marketplace searches! (I cannot afford/justify a new tank)

the fluval f90 looks nice and is drilled which I like. No cover though.
Is it best for me to just stick to the cheaper and uglier tanks like the fluval Roma/Vicenza/etc...?

thanks
Paul

I am also going through the same search. 90cm with a lid for a low tech tank for the lounge. It will be all crypts and epiphytes. I thought the EA Freshwater looked promising, but it's quite tall. I had a tall tank years ago and it was a pain doing maintenance. However, it's still top of my list at the moment despite my reservations. I have seen the odd one second hand.

Something like the aquaone 900 might suit your needs. I would also look at the all pond solutions low iron tanks, they are 80cm and only around £140. Brilliant price for an opri-white glass tank. However, no lid. They are excellent tanks for the money, I have seen quite a few in the flesh.

thought the EA Freshwater looked promising,
That'd probably be my choice for a covered aquarium too.
Also, check out Juwel Rio aquariums. There's often several on eBay.

tank.jpg
As usual I have been doing a excel document on Tanks. It is nowhere complete but it might help you look.
I have only shown the ones that are 80 to 90 wide.
I also decided to work out how much it costs per litre, what I did not do (Ran out of commitment/free time) is factor in the items that come with the tank. i.e. lights, cabinet, filter, heater and subtract from price per L.

View attachment 160437As usual I have been doing a excel document on Tanks. It is nowhere complete but it might help you look.
I also decided to work out how much it costs per litre, what I did not do (Ran out of commitment/free time) is factor in the items that come with the tank. i.e. lights, cabinet, filter, heater and subtract from price per L.

Thanks - That's helpful
I'm glad to see I'm not the only weirdo in the world that loves a spreadsheet for nearly everything too!

View attachment 160437As usual I have been doing a excel document on Tanks. It is nowhere complete but it might help you look.
Cor you like you excel spreadsheet dony you grumpy one 🤣 another brilliant piece of collated information 👍

If its got to be second hand I'd look for a juwel. My rio 125 was bought second hand in 2006 and it is still running. They're good tanks, but did seem to have high numbers of light units failures at one point. My original T8s are still going strong.
Just be cautious of cabinets that look to have water damage as many manufacturers (not just juwel) use laminated chipboard.
I'd personally steer clear of old externals. You may be OK, but there's a risk of them leaking and then you spending money on new seals etc without knowing if it's worthwhile. Internals have less to go wrong.

Back