• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Best way to get rid of snails!!

I've used a piece of air hose as a syphon and remove them manually every day, just be careful removing them from leaves. If you have loads it because you have a lot of food for them, either food you are putting in or algae. if you remove manually either with a hose or by squashing and reduce the amount of food for them you can get the population in check.

as TDI says patience is the key

Chris

or put a piece of cucumber in the tank with piece of lead attached to hold it down b4 you got bed. In the morning it will have snails all over it then you can lift it out.

I added 10 assassin snails to my 200+L ank and, although they didn't eradicate the pest snails, they took their numbers right down to an acceptable level. The assassins are pretty and they don't breed.

paul.in.kendal said:
I added 10 assassin snails to my 200+L ank and, although they didn't eradicate the pest snails, they took their numbers right down to an acceptable level. The assassins are pretty and they don't breed.

Asassins breed like other snail. But not so fast like those "pests".

I used to remove as many as i could find every day, or squash them and your fish will have a tasty snack! I've heard very good reports for assassin snails and if they breed you can sell them on! Bonus! I'd have thought a combination of the two would be a winner!
Happy squashing!
Matt

Note that assassins have been reported as eating small shrimp, what I do with mine is squash them with a pair of tweezers and then the shrimp eat them, do this everyday for a week and you will see most will disappear, over feeding often is the cause of an explosion in the snail population.

Assasims are the way to go
1 assasin will eat 1 snail a day
so buy 10-15
it will take time but better than squashing them because if they
don't get eaten they can cause amonia spikes as they rot and then
algea outbreaks
slow and steady wins the race
matt

In the old days (which is to say 5 years ago, when I last had a tank), we used to soak all incoming plants in a weak solution of potassium permanganate to make sure it killed off all the snails...

does nobody do this any more?

is there a good reason why not?

mx

I vote for snails :thumbup: Come on people, they are the part of your ecosystem and good cleaners. AS stated above, dont overfeed the fish and the population will be in control ;)

Hi all, I vote for snails as well.
don't they eat plants?
Depends on the snail, MTS, Physa, Nerites and most Ramshorns are fairly plant friendly. MTS particularly don't eat any plants and are very useful for cleaning the substrate. They are also tough and capable of surviving at pH's below pH7. I have them in all the tanks, they don't tend to eat fish eggs etc either.
cheers Darrel

LOL :D
I specialy wanna some red snails as natural cleaners in my tank but unlucky, i have some snail killers - khuli loaches.
2-3 days and no one snail in my tank.
I think is not good idea clean tank every day or every week from snails. When You clean gravel e.g. every time You change natural environment for Your Livestock, change cycle biorythm.

Back