• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Betta Get Sorted

No, they are still Ramshorn snails, freshwater limpets (Acroloxus) are really small and don't have any shell whorls

I always thought of ramshorns as big snails who held their shells upright and thought I read somewhere that those who had the curly shells but had them horizontally were a different species. I probably misunderstood or more likely completely imagined it

How big are these likely to grow?

I have some in my shrimp tank which never seem to get bigger than about 2-3mm (which makes photographing them a right pain)
14a7692123e431440f1a8f43ac04c80d.jpg

Hi all,
I always thought of ramshorns as big snails who held their shells upright and thought I read somewhere that those who had the curly shells but had them horizontally were a different species.
There are a number of different Ramshorn snails, my guess would be that those are young <"Red Ramshorn"> (Planorbella duryi).
I have some in my shrimp tank which never seem to get bigger than about 2-3mm
They look like Acroloxus lacustris.

All the gastropod molluscs actually have "curly shells", the difference in appearance depends on how wide <"the shell whorls are">, they are just really wide in Limpets (so you get a cone) and narrow in Ramshorn snails (so you get a flat spiral).

cheers Darrel

Betta arrived today and I am struggling not to whack the lights on and have a good look.

This is the sale video (The two year old was adamant we were getting this one)

Interestingly after my dilemma with flow, he seems to have spent most of his time actively seeking out the areas of highest flow and avoiding the areas of pretty still water I created...

The MK is growing a bit like a weed and is going to need a trim. Everything else seems to be doing OK, although the crypts seem to just be fairly dormant. I guess this is too be expected and hopefully they will start to grow out a little soon.

I haven't had chance to get any Nerites yet but I do like them so I guess that is only a matter of time.

I ordered some Capatta leaves from an eBay seller in Germany and think I may have enough for a little while.
MVIMG_20190614_103541.jpg

Also ordered some mulberry leaves for the Shrimp and instead of the 20 leaves I ordered, the seller has sent me a huge amount of slightly broken leaves
MVIMG_20190614_103845.jpg

Lights didn't seem to bother him and he is already coming to say hello and I haven't even fed him yet! Will have to see if he is prepared to slum it with dried food later

7e5f3dc6508e1dab134387999e53f0c7.jpg

f6e470bf2192af71d16b99f2646ab5ba.jpg
I’ve never seen a beta like that. Do you know what type it is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a HMPK (half moon plakat) the colour was described as purple fancy dragon. The fancy is just the pattern and dragon is the fact you can see the individual scales. Not too uncommon ( there were two very similar ones on sale).

Check out Chen's Betta on band for gorgeous fish. https://band.us/page/75451277/

MK really needs some trimming now
f43e97e48cfee2f3a9a5b7177edd1f04.jpg

I did put a coconut cave in at the bag for him to explore and get out of any flow but I don't think he has ever been in there. Thinking of taking this out and replacing with a plant but not sure what. Kind of want something with broad leaves he could rest on that is only going to get about 20cm tall and is as wide as the coconut (about 10cm?)

Ramshorn population seems to have exploded but I am being pretty careful to make sure all the food gets eaten. I guess when I get round to getting a Nerite it should out compete a lot of them for food.

Hi all, Anubias barteri? You could get a slower growing form like <"A. barteri "Glabra"> or <"A. barteri "Coffeefolia">.

cheers Darrel
I recently threw out an Anubias barteri which has grown to about 25cm tall and 45cm wide. It got damaged when I left it out the water too long when rearranging the tank and then got stuffed back in on it's side and ended up a bit deformed and taking up loads of space.

Will check the others. As this is at the back of the tank I need the height (or at least something that isn't planted so I can raise it).

I was originally going for SE Asian plants but it is by no means a biotype and I have already strayed away with the Anubias Mini Mini.

My other thought was something smaller which sends up surface leaves. I remember seeing these a whole ago but can't seem to find them now.

Whilst feeding I found what I think is Duckweed
fde489e8dc6d7c2d7f262b23b3484cb0.jpg

No idea where it came from as I don't have any Duckweed in any other tank and this one has been running for about two months without any.

Regarding the space I am now thinking of creating a wooden (?) shelf and possibly using some more buce (or smaller Anubias). Underneath I might just leave a space, put the moss balls there or add a coconut cave which I got at the same time but is much smaller (only about half a coconut and sits on the substrate. Just need to figure out how to create a shelf. Thinking I will either glue some suckers to a small bit of driftwood I have or get some small sticks from LFS to create a little frame

Hi all,
Whilst feeding I found what I think is Duckweed
Definitely Duckweed (Lemna minor).
No idea where it came from as I don't have any Duckweed in any other tank and this one has been running for about two months without any.
They occasionally form seeds (they are a flowering plant) and these are small and resistant to drying, so it is possible that they've blown in.

However your Amazon Frogbit is looking very healthy, and my guess would be that there were Duckweed plants present for the last two months, and the good growing conditions have encouraged them to spread enough to become visible. A cheap plastic tea strainer is good for scooping them out.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,Definitely Duckweed (Lemna minor).They occasionally form seeds (they are a flowering plant) and these are small and resistant to drying, so it is possible that they've blown in.

However your Amazon Frogbit is looking very healthy, and my guess would be that there were Duckweed plants present for the last two months, and the good growing conditions have encouraged them to spread enough to become visible. A cheap plastic tea strainer is good for scooping them out.

cheers Darrel

There are still only a handful of plants it there definitely weren't there a couple of weeks ago.

I can't see it being external as the tank has a lid (albeit with a few small gaps) and the room the tank in only has patio doors and I don't think they have been opened this year.

Only things that have gone in the tank are sealed substrate, plants / rocks / wood from Aquarium Gardens (and I suspect most aquascapers have a deer of duckweed) and the coconut caves (and these have been sat on my desk for months).

Going to try and fish most of it out tomorrow, just surprised how it had managed to get there.

Don't fish most of it out, get it all. :)
Once it starts it spreads like mad.
I find a fork is good for getting it out when it's amongst other plants, a tea strainer is good when it's in open areas, as Darrel said. Athough it doesn't have to be a cheap plastic one, if you've got a nice silver one that will be OK too. :)

Don't fish most of it out, get it all. :)
I figured all was a bit optimistic. I will get everything I can see but there is probably still more.... I will dig out he finest silver (well I am just going to remove all the floaters, clean, check and return)

Hi all,
I find a fork is good for getting it out when it's amongst other plants
Hairy arms work really well.
well I am just going to remove all the floaters, clean, check and return
Easiest way., a pound to a penny you have to do it two or three times before it is gone.

cheers Darrel

I was seeing some green algae of the glass but after rescuing a couple of horned nerites from P@H this has gone and the glass is spotless again.

The MK was breaking the surface in a few places so I gave it an overdue trim. I did notice some of the leaves not looking great
99a68159712f3cd78a77f538fe646721.jpg

After the MK growing really well I am now seeing quite a lot of melt on the lower leaves is some stems and this on some up the upper leaves. Is this a deficiency, algae or what?

74d468e6934381530bb41e99e04ed675.jpg

23342735753698dbeaf91ce0c896a3e7.jpg

This isn’t unusual for the older emerse leafs - just trim any damaged leafs
If you don’t see any new shoots on the old lower stems, just remove, planting the new (submerse) growth shoots
If there’s any stem melt, cut above & below giving at least 2-3 cm clearance from any soft stem

Back