• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Betta Lifespace 700

Wolfenrook

I mentioned this in my 'intro' so figured I should post some info.

It's a 62 gallon tank with a big sump for filtration.

DSCF3392-549-700-600-80.jpg

That pump is a 3000lph one, I think I finally joined the 10x club. :lol: The first chamber of that filter is filled with my old biomedia, the second I used to house my rather large number of marimo balls and a 300 watt Interpet heater.

Lighting is taken care of by 2 Arcadia EcoAqua 30 watt spotlights, 1 the white model the other the freshwater model, making for rather a lot of light, so I'll be installing my CO2 system once again. To this end the sump is covered and set up with no splashing in it. I am also in the process of modifying the return with a home made 'spray bar' made out of some 25mm UPVC pipe assembled to allow it to be mounted vertically. Once the weld on this has fully cured I will be drilling the length of this with fairly large holes, important that they are large as small holes will force the water out under too high pressure, turning the tank into a whirlpool, rather than keeping the current vary nice circulation I have with the plants swaying gently.

Regarding the CO2, this isn't set up yet as a) too much splashing from the return until I modify it and b) had to order a new diffuser that can cope with this size of tank. I'll be popping the diffuser under the 'spray bar' much like I used to in my old 180.

Substrate I've gone back to basics, as in putting more focus upon water column dosing than 'fancy substrates'. To this end I have a thin layer of OLD eco-complete (basically put in there as it was full of my old mahogany trumpet snails, which are hard to find these days, and the tank it was in was retired), a layer of flourite dark there purely to act as a nutrient buffer (it was cheaper than flourite. lol) and then a final topping of good old black silica gravel.

Hardscape is made up of Sumatra driftwood and my wife's bast statue.

Plants, most are from my old 180, including cryptocoryne affinis, anubias barteri and anubias barteri nana. To these I have added 2 narrow leaved Java ferns, 4 micro Java ferns and 5 pots of pogostemon helferi to form a carpet. I have some mini lava rocks that the ferns will be getting tied to and poked back in the same positions they are in now as I find this more convenient than having to disturb the wood to tie them to this.

Anyway, a couple of tank shots, first one was taking before I planted the pogostemon:-

DSCF3427-563-700-600-80.jpg

DSCF3432-564-700-600-80.jpg

I don't plan to use liquid carbon this time, as I've had problems with this in the past. Trace will be my usual ProFito and I will probably use the Nitro and Phospho from the same range again and probably potash to top up the potassium levels as I tend to always end up with a shortage of this. I know it's not popular, but I'm going to stick with buddy ratio methodology for dosing once again, this worked well for me before.

Ade

Job done, home made spray bar drilled and fitted, CO2 system setup. :dance:

The 'spray bar' is working a treat, creating a nice gentle current around all levels of the tank, and pulling the bubbles from the CO2 diffuser with it. Doesn't stick out like a sore thumb particularly either:-

DSCF3435-567-700-600-80.jpg

DSCF3436-568-700-600-80.jpg

DSCF3437-569-700-600-80.jpg

A good result I reckon.

Still on the to do list, get my wife to tie the Java ferns onto the mini lava rocks as I can't tie stuff on for toffee thanks to my tremor.

Ade

I've done a bit more work on this today, removing some crypts, cutting back some overly large anubias on the left side and planting some pots of pogostemon erectus and rotala rotundifolia. In my opinion at least it now looks a LOT better:-

DSCF3518-606-1024-1024-80.jpg

DSCF3519-607-1024-1024-80.jpg

Shocking news though, I've been dosing using EI so far, figured I'd give it a go and see what happens. Oh and just to note, these were taken right after I'd been working on it, so still a bit cloudy.

Ade

I have to say the tank is looking a lot nicer after the plant removal

Agreed, I was really really not liking it before. It looked like what it was, a bunch of old plants chucked into a new tank, which just isn't how I do things normally. Plus the simple truth is, I love my stems! A tank without stems to me just doesn't feel complete. :)

I do however reckon it needs a couple of more pots of the pogostemon erectus on each side, anybody any thoughts on this?

I am also seeing some unplanted, thinly branched, wood on the left in front of the weir cover. A bit like the piece on the right, but with fewer branches sort of thing. OR, alternatively, some nice red stems planted thinly so that they give a similar effect behind that wood. Actually, I am really liking the stems idea, I've been wanted to put some taller red stems in there, seems a good spot. Again thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

Ade

Six days later, and I am VERY happy with how this tank is turning out:-

DSCF3535-609-1024-1024-80.jpg

You can't see on that, but I moved the CO2 diffuser into the sump, right by the return pump, and turned it up a bit. I did this as I pruned the echindorous rose in the back right, which meant the bubbles from the diffuser filled the entire tank.

I am especially happy with the growth of the p. helferi.

Ade

gex23 said:
You need a shoal of at least 8 gold tetras in that tank Ade ;)

lol Alwyas the joker Ant. :lol: Meanie, you know the silly bint in the shop would only sell me 6 (gold neons).... She didn't give a hoot that I had removed 25 or so adult Endlers that morning, most females.....

Oh well, went and bought 20 harlequin rasboras today. :lol:

Ade

After much thought, we decided to do a radical rescape on this, going back to the stems I love:-

Rescaped-625-1024-1024-80.jpg

It's not finished yet though, need quite a lot more stems, including some nice rotala macranda I reckon. You can see part of the reason for the rescape on the wood, I got hit big time with BBA and staghorn algae. This despite having a 3000lph return pump and a Koralia 1 flow pump, lime green in my drop checkers, estimative index fert dosing and 40% a week water changes. So I figured it was a simple case of not enough fast growing stems.

I added (all Tropica) 3 pots of myriophyllum mattogrossense, 3 pots of limnophila sessiflora, 2 pots of hygrophila corymbosa 'augustifolia' and a pot of bacopa caroliniana, and I still have huge spaces. :lol:

I've also added 6 more caridina multidentata and a Siamese algae eater who is quite pleased to be in there. lol

Ade

Personally, I'd bring Bastet sort of forward so she can have something growing behind her. Would bring back that country garden look. Or maybe forward and left next to the wood. Might be worth having a fiddle to see if it looks good or not? It might look good in my head and awful in the tank!! lol.

Other than my nit picking, looks really nice so far :)

By the way, where did you get her? I may have impulse-bought a P@H nano the other day...which is sitting on my windowsil waiting for me to decide what to do with it, and something involving a statue might be nice, if you don't mind me pinching your idea! :)

That's an idea for the Bastet statue, I'll have a play in a minute, gotta go in there anyway as bought a load more stems to go in (3 more pots of pogostemon erectus, 3 bunches of bacopa caroliniana and 3 bunches of alternanthera rosefolia). I left her there as I was going to try to create the valley effect by pruning the plants down towards her, but she definitely stands out a little too much there. I am thinking thou of trying to the right of the daonoi, as this may give more balance with the larger piece of wood on the left and the red aponogeton crispus. I'll try both though see how it looks, plenty of space in there until I pop these new plants in. :thumbup:

I bought her from Fish and Fins online, but I just checked and she's not on there any more. The closest thing they have is a Rameses statue type thing and a sphinx. Could be they are just out of stock though.

Ade

Tis done. I put the Bastet statue in various places, and let my wife chose it's final position. I have to let her have some input as this is, although mostly mine, OUR tank, so I try to let her have a fair bit of input in the decision making process. Given how much has been spent on it, it's only fair really. :lol:

Anyway, new stems all planted, Bastet moved, and we have a final scape that looks like this:-

RescapeFinished-629-1024-1024-80.jpg

The bacopa I am certain is all caroliniana, guessing the difference in colour is because the greener stuff was potted, the more bronzed was bunched stems. The alternanthera could just as easily be lilacina as rosefolia if I am honest as again it was in unlabled bundles in Peta At Home. Oddly our local one is quite good for plants really, the manager of the fish section has just started developing a real interest in planted tanks. One day they may even start feeding and maybe providing some carbon source for the cascade tank, you never know. At least they have it lit with an Arcadia Classic metal halide and not just a couple of T8s like some places I've been to. :lol:

Apart from the Bastet statue, which I'd prefer to be further back and partially hidden by plants :lol: , I like it. It's a real relief to be back growing stems. :thumbup:

Ade

[edit]Checked on the Tropica site, it's alternanthera reineckii roseafolia as I first thought, they don't do lilacina in bunches apparently.

Back