• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Betta Lifespace 700

Another tweak on the way, in the form of 2 pots of ludwigia repens 'rubin' ordered from TGM yesterday. These will be going in the red painted area in this image, the purpose been to cut through the green a bit (the pink of the alternanthera isn't strong enough to do this), and also to take the end of the 'triangle' created by the daonoi leading up to the bacopa in the back.

tweakplan-640-1024-1024-80.jpg

Ade

Due to moving house, time to wrap this journal up.

The tank was torn down, leaving only the substrate in. The plan was to get it all back up and running pretty quickly, but the best laid plans and all that...

Plants are quite dead and dried up as thanks to rushing no water got put in the bag with them. The fish, well I am hoping some survive, but it seems unlikely.

This tank will be showing up again in the not too distant future though, but looking quite different I reckon. For one I have no plans of putting the cat in there again.

I also learned a lesson, don't trust Amano shrimp with alternanthera reineckii and daonoi! The destroyed both quite utterly.

Ade

Shame about the plants mate, it was a great looking tank :)

Wolfenrook said:
Thanks bud. With any luck I can get it looking even better this time.

Ade
That's the spirit ;) best of luck and keep us updated!

Well, I have some better news. All but 1 fish actually somehow survived 3 weeks in a bag (I should mention it was a koi bag, inside a fish box... lol). They're back in their tank now looking much happier.

Started rescaping as well. No new plants as yet, but my wife built a hill of gravel when emptying the last of the water out, which I have taken advantage off and put some nice branchy wood into the top of it. I'll post pics once there are plants in there once again.

To do:-

Buy 5kg CO2 FE (2k ones last a month tops....)
Buy a decent CO2 reactor and pump to run it to try to add CO2 more efficiently
Buy, and plant, plants.

Ade

I just wanted to update this as finally done something with this tank.

First off, I've gone lower light on this to remove the need for CO2. Took off the white LED. The plants in there now will all tolerate the lower lighting. I also bought a massive bit of redmoor from Aquaessentials, lovely bit of wood.

AquariumRedo3-719-700-600-80.jpg

Nothing special, but I'm happy with it.

Ade

I love the wood arrangement! Makes it different to see a scape higher than wider.. Why is there a random cat in there? Not to sure about that though! ;)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

That's a bit mean making you keep the cat in there. It might look better in the background as if it was part of the scape instead of just plonked in front. Why don't you get her a tank to do herself?
Cheers

I think you must have done something to upset her. Or even worse, you are still doing something that annoys her!

Cheers,
Lindy

Nothing at all, but need to restart the ProFito again (Easylife).

Photos aren't going to come out any better sadly, as the lighting stinks for photograph. It's an Arcadia EcoAqua 30watt spotlight, the tropical one, which has red and blue LEDs in addition to the white ones, giving quite a pink light. Rubbish for photographs but the fish look much better under this than they did under the white one (which I put on a dart frog viv. lol).

Agreed it's unusual though, working with large cubes is very different to working with the normal rectangular tanks. To be honest, it's not a patch on what I've done in the past. I really miss these old glory days:-

9_days_growth-53-700-600-80.jpeg

180NewLighting-60-700-600-80.jpg

Ade

Hmm I know how you feel about taking photos of tanks it does my stew in when the lighting messes with the aperture and you get a blue or tinted image. Are you using a phone to take the pictures?n I know a few poeple that don't like dense growth in tanks but I have always favoured the look and feel it gives to tanks, especially larger tanks. Keep the work going I will be following the progress!

Nope, Fujifilm bridge camera. The light though leaves images looking grainy, or grainy and too bright. This is the next best photo I took, not that great either:-

AquariumRedo1-717-1024-1024-80.jpg

It's not helping that the glass needs cleaning. lol Between my kids and the dogs nose, it gets a bit smeared very quickly. lol

Planting wise, it should look better once all the Ozelot grow in, and the nymphae stellata grows a bit, different reds to work with the red of the wood, contrasting against the green of the anubias barteri nana and Java ferns.

Ade

Its a shame all the images for this post are gone...

Back