• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Betta owners: what do you do about flow

DaveWatkin

As per the title really, how do you manage the flow requirement of a heavily planted tank with that of a Betta fish?

I currently have a fluvial flex 15g with an aftermarket spraybar attachment with a sponge from a sponge filter over most of the bar (1 or 2 holes exposed).

Running an aftermarket pump at about 400l/h maybe. Turnover is lower than I would like, pump goes to 600 which is 10x volume and would be better but is then too much for the fish.

I have circulation but it is like a lazy river, no plants move really. Also pretty sure I have some deadspots.

I think you have to compromise some flow for the happiness of the betta. If you do have strong flow in an area you need spots where the betta can rest but it depends on which type of betta you have, wild type bettas are able to cope with much higher flow because they don't have such large finnage.
People tend to try and deflect the flow off objects or use spray bars but I don't think there is really anyway to get your plants moving throughout simply due to the limitations having the betta create. As the tank grows in you might be able to increase the flow but these are a still water fish really.

There are a few journals dedicated to keeping bettas so it might be worth looking through some of those to see if any have come up with possible solutions.

Last edited:
As above, high flow (or even medium really) just doesn't work with betta's so you will need to compromise. Betta's come from water that is pretty much still all the time, too much flow will just cause your betta to hide away in low flow area's, usually in the corners etc

Thanks guys. Strangely my Betta swims into the flow constantly, never learns. It's not bad now I have it turned down but when it was on max he would swim into the flow and get thrown across the tank and then just go and do it again.

It's an elephant ear so is really just like a sail in the wind.

Will keep it low and see how the plants get on, sure everything will be fine in the long run.

..thrown across the tank and then just go and do it again.
Yeah some of them are not so clever and just keep swimming in the current, like they are talking personal offense at how they are not a hillstream loach and able to go anywhere they please. Mine was like that. I think he wanted to keep up with all the goings on in his kingdom and make sure no shrimp were talking smack about him around the filter outlet :hilarious:

You just have to compromise, they can enjoy a little bit of flow but must be limited for their own good, especially if they dont regulate themselves. Plants grow perfectly ok in these still puddles in the wild, as far as I know, so I think they will be fine. If some plants show issues with water distribution they may need swapped out for a less demanding species.

https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/betta-get-sorted.57522/

I have a 22l tank with a 300lph filter into a spin pipe. This seems to be OK (Albeit flow is compromised to what I would like). The tank is planted with anubias, buce, crypts and hygrophila which all aren't particularly demanding to start with.

Literally got a new boy today and he is struggling a little (I managed to break the glass inflow yesterday https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/effect-of-changing-pipework-diameter.57518/#post-620939)

The last two boys I have had were half moons. I had a HMPK before and going for a higher ow tank I would definitely got for a short fin fish

Thanks guys. Strangely my Betta swims into the flow constantly, never learns. It's not bad now I have it turned down but when it was on max he would swim into the flow and get thrown across the tank and then just go and do it again.
The my last betta played with the spin pipe quite a bit even though it sometimes got sucked in and spun around. Still kept going back, unfortunately he ended up managing to get himself wedged into the inflow and did not recover from the damage he did to himeself. My new boy who arrived today has already tried to exert his authority over the spin pipe on a couple of occasions (to the point I came close to turning it off for a while).

I think if they have some areas where they can get away from the flow they will find them and use them when they want. Hardscape can really help and things like betta logs and coconut shelves are great for the fish but not the most aesthetically pleasing.

Back