• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Betta Tank mates for larger tank

Richard40

I’m soon to scape an ADA 60-P and been reading up on suitable tank mates for a Betta. It will be a planted tank with no CO2 with wood and rock and soil substrate.
With the Betta I was thinking on 5 otto’s (I’m going to try these as I have been warned about them dying off) and 6 galaxy rasboras.
6 amano shrimps and 3 Nerite snails, possibly some adult cherry shrimp if I can get hold of any.
Thoughts?

All are suitable
Don’t add ottos to a new set up or you will probably loose them
Ensure that there is somewhere at the surface the betta can rest and breath without swimming to the surface
I have had a lot that actually “slept” on there sides virtually above the water surface
Plants with Large leaf are good for this
The betta will hunt and eat any shrimplets so don’t expect to increase your colony

Where are you going to get the betta from ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve joined a couple of groups on Band that you have to kind of bid for the one you want before others do. So I was going to attempt to do that about 3 weeks after the tank had been set up.
I was planning on some floating plants on the surface, possibly one of these stick on leaves to side of tank to sleep on. Noted on the Oto’s will wait a few months before they go in. Would you increase the shoal of rasboras or stick with just the Betta and 6 rasboras? Not sure on pgymy corydoras as will be a heavily planted tank.

Yes I will do, not sure on the galaxy rasboras now as they shoal together they could get picked off by the Betta and heard they are very timid fish.

I've never tried Cardinals with a Betta but they'd probably do fine. I mentioned Harlequins because I've kept them with Betta's before with no problems.

Back