• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Betula golden cloud

mort

Hi, bit of an odd one but has anyone seen a Betula golden cloud tree in person? I was offered one by someone in a trade (postal trade) and it looks like it's already in its autumn colouring, so hard to tell what it actually looks like. It's supposed to be a more golden form of Betula pendula but pics online mostly show it either really golden (suspected autumn colouring) or just off green leaves that look chlorotic, with sales descriptions listing it as the most amazing cultivar since the last one;)
I really like birch but from the pictures I'm not sure I want a sickly looking tree, unless I'm missing something?

TIA

Hi all,
I'm not sure I want a sickly looking tree, unless I'm missing something?
No, you aren't missing anything, I think it is a horrible sickly looking thing. It is a better tree than the purple leaved Birch (B. pendula "Purpurea"), but not as good as Betula pendula "Tristis" etc. Its foliage is yellow and doesn't burn, but it still looks sickly.

My favourite Birches are the creamy barked versions of Betula utilis, you normally see the very white barked B. utilis "Jaquemontii", but there are some lovely forms with cream, or mahogany, bark.

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel. I wasn't really looking for another birch but it's the only thing he had that I didn't really know.

I've got a nice betula dalecarlica that's growing to be the main focus of the garden. I had the purpurea bought me a few years ago but never really thought "wow" about it and kept it in a pot.

Back