• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

BGA in Low tech tank

Aeropars

Hi Guys,

MY low tech tank is suffering from blue green algae. Im not really sure where to start looking for the problem. THeres once a week ferting going on and none of the plant are showing signs of deficiencies.

Any pointers as to where i should start looking?

You are right that article is more aimed at EI, I've used to to good effect with a low tech tank for other algaes. Not had BGA in donkeys years though so can not comment specifically on that.

Do you add any ferts at all to your tank?
I find I still need to add the odd fert once a month or so to keep the plants tip top.

Hi all,
Al my tanks are very low tech. and my plants extremely nutrient deprived. I usually find that you may get an initial appearance of BGA, but once the tanks are stabilised it tends to go away. Personally I wouldn't treat it, but I'd keep syphoning it up, and remove any dead material until it goes away.

If I ever do get any it will be on the older leaves of the floating plants, mainly if I have been away for an extended period and the tank had become entirely choked with plants, removing the water circulation (I will have less water circulation to start with than most other members).

A good tip is that even if it isn't obvious you can smell it. If you have a cover and when you lift it up you get a smell of "ponds", you have BGA lurking somewhere.

cheers Darrel

dw1305 said:
A good tip is that even if it isn't obvious you can smell it. If you have a cover and when you lift it up you get a smell of "ponds", you have BGA lurking somewhere.

This is a great tip.
I think having a sniff of the tank is a great indicator of it's health and is part of my regular tank checks ;)

Back