• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

BGA on dry start method.

lincoln

Seedling
First off, I just started aquascaping and decided to use the DSM since there are limited availability to aquatic plants where I am. 3 weeks into the DSM and Im getting patches of BGA and I need help before it blows out of control.

My setup:

1. Elevated Rock scene design with ADA Amazonia and Ohko dragon rocks om 45cm tank.
2. Using Monte Carlo and salt bae method by scattering bits of Monte Carlo around.
3. Chihiros WRGB2 with 100% intensity for 12 hrs.
4. Daily Misting and Air it for 30mins.
5. Filled water to the lowest part of my substrate.

Issues:

1. Started having dry patches on the higher/elevated areas. So I focused more misting on those areas.
2. BGA starts forming and ive been removing some of it but its coming back strongee than ever.
3. Started reducing the light intensity to 50% for 8hrs but still get dry patches

Sorry in advance if my descriptions weren't clear enough. i've attached a few photos hope it would help. Much appreciate the feedbacks and assistance.

Attachments

• 20210124_232555.jpg
    20210124_232555.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 429
  • 20210124_232408.jpg
    20210124_232408.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 146
  • 20210124_232537.jpg
    20210124_232537.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 155
I suggest following Jurijs mit JS Dry Start Method (skip to ~40 min mark if you’re not interested in the scaping tutorial aspect)
There are many successful DSM’s without springtails, they just reduce the chance of moulds
Your tank is far too wet, there should be no visible standing water - MC doesn’t need anything more than damp and humid
Dragon stone is much more prone to algae etc issues

Actually I was trying to follow Jurijs Salt Bae DSM since i have limited amount of MC. But thanks for the info on dragon stones,, is it the same for seiryu stones too? So how do rectify this algae issue? just by removing the standing water? Even with standing water i still get patches of dry areas or soil even after misting it will dry up in like 20mins.

Sorry I’ve no idea what this means/refers

In your tank, I’d remove all standing water - you can always gently push soil away from 1 corner and siphon water from there as needed

Dragon stone is often quite soft (almost clay like) and may have quite a lot of dirt/debris in crevices etc, high pressure washing will remove quite a lot (though in dragon stone I’ve seen, as you continue to high pressure wash, there is always “more” - I just to remove the 90-95%)

In contrast seiryu stone is much more easily “cleaned” (you can see in Jurijs video, how clean his seiryu/mini landscape rock is)

I’m not sure why your soil is drying so much - was it perhaps quite dried out when you began the scape?
I use Tropica Soil (Powder) and it acts much like what is shown in Jurijs video

If your soil is very dry, you might flood the tank for several hours (not sure how long it takes ADA Amazonia to hydrate), then drain away all the water, to leave only damp soil
Occasionally I’ve allowed my Tropica Soil to dry (out), I just spray thoroughly for several days until it begins to hold the dampness, then just mist plants

It’s difficult to remove the BGA now that it’s there in your tank, there are various products available online that claim to treat BGA, Erythromycin is usually effective (but no longer available in many countries)
If your areas of BGA are quite separate from your plants, you can also try cinnamon and other sprays (I’ve heard of cinnamon and other compounds being used but don’t have any knowledge)

Sorry I’ve no idea what this means/refers

The Salt Bae method Jurijs describe as just sprinkling the MC around as if he is just sprinkling salt.

Instead of flooding the tank, what if, on a separate container/tank i would just put some Amazonia soil and just remove and replace the dry soils with those i have hydrated. I do have thoughts of removing the hardscapes, MC and just the top layer of the soil affected with the BGA and redo the DSM. Or should i just let the DSM continue until the MC has cultivated and spreaded out, then just flood the tank and blackout treat the BGA.

I couldnt get hold of any Tropica Soil as there are limited shops in Brunei and they only have Amazonia.

I really appreciate the help/assistance you have provided.

Amazonia is fine, just wanting to state that I have much more experience with Tropica Soil

I do think that as Amazonia is so nutrient rich, it’s more difficult to do dry starts - this makes intuitive sense to me (young delicate plants are much more sensitive to nitrogen etc “burn” than older plants) and seems to be reflected in online reports

I think either way you’d like to go forward, will work
BUT
if the BGA invades the MC, it can be difficult to treat (the direct syringed Excel is not a favourite of MC)

Though after flooding I’d probably just try discouraging the BGA (daily removal, water change, perhaps some Seachem Excel syringed directly on this - Green Aqua shows this method in one of their maintenance videos though I can’t seem to find it tonight) and only do a Blackout once the MC is growing well aquatically

Thanks for the advices Alto i'll see which path i'll take.and update again whether things go well or not.

quick question though, if im gonna wet the soil do i need to use my filter or i can just leave it stagnant for a day or two?

Back