• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Big Aquarium

Tim Harrison

Administrator
UKAPS Team
Hello all, I've been thinking (always a dangerous thing) about getting a larger tank.

Amazingly, the other day my wife, suddenly came out with...'why don't we get rid of the corner sofa in the kitchen-diner-family room and then you'll have space for a big aquarium'. It's old and knackered anyway, and invariably gets used as a dumping zone, so I thought that an excellent idea :cool:...

IMG_1524.jpg

Strangely, it'd never crossed my mind before, probably because it was such a far fetched concept. Anyway, it's a suggestion she may well live to regret...I can't get the thought out of my head, and have been mentally playing with various scenarios.

The obvious choice is an Evolution Aqua Aquascaper, something like the 1200 or bigger. However, being essentially lazy I'm not sure I could cope with the maintenance, or the loss of goodness knows how many litres of water a week, turning my house in to a sauna. Or for that matter the inevitable fish and shrimp suicides, but on a much bigger scale.

TheAquascaper-Tank.jpg

So, I've been looking at closed top options, and the one coming out on top is the Juwel Rio range, 240 and above. The 450 would be my ideal, and for one thing good examples often pop up on eBay for a few hundred quid. But the RIo range comes with its own set of problems, and this is where it could get interesting...

rio400schwarz-small-01.jpg

I've come up with the hair-brain idea to set myself the potentially difficult challenge of growing a healthy planted tank with no additional filtration, or flow etc other than what comes with the tank as standard. Well okay, I might pimp the Eccoflow pump up with the largest version that will fit, if it's an option, and I might splash out on Juwels HeliaLux lighting system.

I therefore have questions that I thought I'd throw out there; if anyone could give me the benefit of their experience it'd be greatly appreciated...

I want to inject CO2 via the built in Bioflow filter, I thought about just sticking the CO2 tube in one of the flow inlets adjacent to the media baskets and letting the pump impeller do the rest. Anyone done something similar?

I like the idea of the HeliaLux lights. Are they any good in terms of controllably and colour rendition?

Any other thoughts, ideas or comments?

If it ever gets off the ground I'm going hybrid energy...most likely soil substrate with easy - medium plants so hopefully I won't need so much flow or CO2 or high light.

no additional filtration, or flow etc other than what comes with the tank as standard
So low tech, you can do low 24/7 CO2, i wouldnt put it through the filtern just small separate system ( small submerged flow pump and a small reactor , maybe you can hidea small pump in the filter or in the back corner).
( risk of CO2 damaging the filterseals)

Years ago I injected co2 via a hole drilled into the in built filter outlet in a Juwel. It wasn't a total failure, however it goes against many of the principles of this forum i.e. Very low flow, this means the tight rope of gassing fish was constant. Even flow around all corners will also me an issue.

Helilux lights much better than T5s, control is excellent and colour is good - however if you want RGB and have the cash wait as this is in their next version tbr shortly

In some ways I wish I had gone the open top route, but I only have to leave the glass covers of a few days and the wife complains about the smell:rolleyes: which I can't smell, plus with the glass covers on negible water loss per week compared to if the covers are left off.
The Jewel Rio 450 is pretty decent tank if you can pick a good one up second hand too.
IME the issue with hooded tanks is you have to be sure about the filter/plumbing as if your not happy with the Internal one upgrading to an external canister can be tricky with the hood.
I got my tank from NQ aquatics which get mixed reviews, but with there Scandinavian design you can go for open hooded so hybrid between hooded and open top. Then you could hang any light above it if you choose. They do do custom sizes as well. As well as complete setups with sumps in base.
One thing I can say about the cabinets Nqaquatics make is they are heavy, weighed more than the tank:eek:

Whilst I love juwel tanks and have two that are over ten years old, I could never imagine just running it with their internal filter. I have a eheim external in one, along with the internal, and it didnt need any modifications at all to fit it in, so I wouldn't rule out extra flow if you need it.
My brother got a lido 120 a few months ago and we've really struggled with algae. If we put enough plants in to reduce the led light we see the string algae go but the plant mass reduces flow so much that blue green cyano seems to appear. We are looking at a powerhead to see if this helps first as it's a low energy tank like your planning.

I would also consider if you personally will get as much out of a large setup as you do with smaller ones. The bigger the tank the less I seem motivated to look after it and keep it pristine (and I've looked after anything and everything up to 16x3x6ft in my time but all marine), it turns more into a chore. Although saying that I've love a 5-6ft simple planted tank with a massive group of one main species and decent sized groups of a couple more.

Some of the large aquaoak tanks and cabinets the have in maidenhead look quite good for the price too,All though you have to select your own filter and lights for these.

Juwel 450 is really nice and as you say, solves the evaporation issue.

Worst case scenario you could always add powerheads to aid with the flow, but depending on sensible bioload, the filter should be able to hold its own I'd have thought.

Could treat it as a challenge!

i always thought itd be neat to see u @Tim Harrison do a big High Tech setup. haha. I think having NO electricity in the tank (ok, other than a heater or something like that) and have no flow would be a really neat concept. Seen it done a very limited amount of times 1/5 chances of success it seems avrg. Im sure you could pull it off easily with your knowledge and understanding of these concepts.

Definitely vote Yes take this chance before she says move your tanks to a different house LOL

GL tim!

Hello Tim
Amazingly, the other day my wife, suddenly came out with...'why don't we get rid of the corner sofa in the kitchen-diner-family room and then you'll have space for a big aquarium

Your wife said BIG well go for a large custom built corner tank.
Rm964-2TUH1f6q7wZaxwQeNEoaZkfWDc4bONK_NGfNrzFw-ha3.jpg
elHpTgH7iG0beSCU3HZWqX2QHfgWmKIAfixvbtatuquzBG_f-A.jpg

upload_2018-10-21_11-32-38.jpeg

Have fun.

Keith:wave::wave:

I have an 130x50cm open top with good surface agitation have around 1L loss a day.. I got no smell other then just the scent of water, and my wife smells really everything so she would have complained of it was the case.. I have also an closed top that has little to almost no water loss only maintaining the closed one is something I rarely do.. With an open top its is so much easier to access if your around your tank and you see something off or want to prune or get out some decaying leaves..

Haha, thanks for the great replies guys. They've all been a great help...

@Edvet - I've never tried 24 hr CO2 before Ed, could be another reason to experiment with a Juwel :) But then I guess I might regret not going open top like Karl - @Zeus, and thanks also Karl for the info on NQ Aquatics...the hybrid approach is definitely another option. Either way both you and Ed are masters of the large tank, so your input it really appreciated.

@DeepMetropolis Thanks for the info about evaporation, that's really good to know, it's one of my main concerns, and you're right about maintenance, it is easy to just dip in and out of an open top tank.

And thanks @mort for the advice, and sharing your personal experience with regards flow and algae, it's a great help when weighing up the pros and cons. Thanks also Tom - @Tom Michael, good to know about the new Juwel RGB ;)

@Daveslaney - I've seen those large AquaOak tanks at Maidenhead Dave, they look well built, I'll take them in to consideration as well.

@Aqua360 and @DutchMuch - That's exactly it, it's the challenge that's really got me interested in trying to make the Juwel work, maybe I should contact them and give them the chance to sponsor me :D And those Juwel BioFilters are monsters, designed for fish keepers, so I reckon they will hold the bioload of a planted tank quite easily.

@Dadofthree - Wouldn't a corner tank be fantastic, it'd be like having a mini 'Forests Underwater' in my own home :cool: @Keith GH - Keith I love the minimalist one with the plain stand, that'd look great in the corner, but I think I'd be pushing my luck, and the bank balance :rolleyes:

Do we move this thread to "journal" section in anticipation ?
Haha...no pressure then Ian :confused:

@Tim.What a lady you have there:)
I know, she's definitely one of a kind. And to think it never crossed my mind until she mentioned it o_O
Speed is of the essence now as minds are often changed:(
Too late!, Should have been in place already!:D
Too late to change now, the deal is sealed :D

Back