• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Big Danne's "minigumi"

Dan Crawford

Founder
UKAPS Team
Hi everyone, after the pico tank that we did at the festival it inspired me to do one of my own. I set it up 2 days after the festival. In my haste i never washed the gravel properly so i'm fighting with white dust but otherwise it's been alright.
I did have some riccia "trees" but they never really lasted because......since i set it up i have not touched it till today, no water changes nothing. I had it sitting on the brace of my open top Juwel Vision 180 under about 100 watts!
Please excuse the state of the plants and the photography but you get the jist of the layout at least.
If you look closley the riccia in the bottom left corner is pearling like a goodun.
I'm gonna replace the middle rock for one slightly smoother. (before you all say it)
Anyway, let me know your thoughts.
PDR_0074.jpg

Hiya mate,
Have you got any under gravel ferts in there? What are you dosing?
Some of my thoughts...
The main stone to the left could do with fliping, so that it points into the tank rather than out to the top left corner. You already know about the central stone.
Plants......could do with a few more. I would concider adding some HC or moss on flat stone in the forground.
Excel would be a good idea in such a small tank.

Regards,
Graeme.

thanks for the advice fellas, here it is with your advice taken. I'll get some moss from home over the weekend and see how it looks on monday.

IMG_14021.jpg

IMG_14043.jpg

Are you injecting CO2? If not, how do you get pearling without CO2?

Could you give me/us more info? How big is it and what plants have you got?

how do you get pearling without CO2?
That is a good question, it would take a far cleverer person than I to answer that one. I presume that there is such high light and minimal surface aggitation that the Co2 levels in the tank are high enough to stimulate the release of oxygen bubbles? just a guess?
I am dosing nothing at the mo but i'll start dosing Excel as suggested by Moody.
The tank is 15l x 13h x 10w about 2litres.
The light is a very yellow 11w light from Ikea.
The plants are ELEOCHARIS PARVULUS and ECHINODORUS TENELLUS.
Photoperiod is 8hrs per day (whilst i'm at work)
I now do a 75% water change everyday.

It will be interesting to see how sustainable this is in such a small volume of water, time will tell!

I missed this until now, It looks really good, could do with a change of rocks though.

I'm with Andy, surely the pearling is due to high water change frequency? Or even due to some damaged cell tissue?

maybe your right, I have no idea although I'm not going for damaged tissue. The tank is still running, I havnt changed any water since the last post I made in this journal. I just keep java moss in there and it loves it!

Maybe that's because java moss comes from stagnant pools in the wild?

Back