• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Big fish and plants

tennis4you

Before I realized I wanted a heavily planted tank I got some big fish. I have a 12" ghost knife fish, a few 8" bala sharks, rope fish, etc. I do have a fair share of smaller fish in the tank too.

But do people here with bigger fish and plants have problems with the plants getting uprooted? Seems like my plants get uprooted a lot. Not the bigger plants with the broad leaves, but the smaller stem type plants. I assume the bigger fish have a lot to do with it?

Any tips or tricks? I love my big fish, but someday I want a ton of smaller fish in the tank with tons of plants. it is a 125 gallon tank with SMS for the substrate.

Although big fish aren't really used in the planted tank scene, I think it depends on the species.

I think your reed fish will be okay with plants because I've seen a member on another forum with these in their planted tank without mention of any problems. I would guess the Balas would be okay but I'm not sure about the Knife.

Yeah, the rope fish are calm and do not seem to slam against plants at all. The bala sharks probably uproot the most if I had to guess, ghost knife is probably right there with them.

Back