• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Biggest pleco for 200l?

RickB

Hey!

I am planning to redo my tank later this year and was wandering what the biggest pleco I could get away with in a 200l would be? I have already ruled out the "common pleco" due to how big they are able to grow.

It will be housed with a few amano shrimp and 2 angelfish and some neon tetra's.

Wouldn’t go any bigger than something like a hypancistrus, peckoltia or ancistrus. Remember plecos are extremely messy and require high oxygen levels so are sometimes not the best choice for a planted tank. Whiptails are often a better choice for that sort of set up.

Cheers

Conor

Wouldn’t go any bigger than something like a hypancistrus, peckoltia or ancistrus. Remember plecos are extremely messy and require high oxygen levels so are sometimes not the best choice for a planted tank. Whiptails are often a better choice for that sort of set up.

Cheers

Conor

Thanks for the imput, in truth I am thinking about moving away from a heavily planted tank and going minimal mainly using floaters.

Probably sand substrate, a bunch of large pebbles and a big piece of wood, minimal light and floaters to help shade the tank when the light is on and to help remove bad stuff.

Last edited:
Do you think the pleco will clean the tank? Or are you interested in the species.?

Very interested in the species, from what I have read I will be the one doing the cleaning

Also why I am willing to redo the tank to make a suitable home.

The blue phantom looks nice and the max size I have read about seems to fit with my tank size.

Hi all,
I've kept a couple of different species, in some ways looks aren't that relevant because, when they are happy, you very rarely see them.

I think <"L128"> (or L200) are probably too big.
Very interested in the species, from what I have read I will be the one doing the cleaning
I'd try one of the Panaqolus sp. They are primarily wood eating so will make a bit of a mess, but they are fairly low maintenance after that (with the oxygen proviso @Edvet mentioned).

Have look at <"L169"> and <"L397">. You could keep a group and that would be more interesting.

cheers Darrel

L128 will get too large for a 200l. I would stick to he other species suggested. I would say out of all the smaller species recommended you may be best with a peckoltia, ancistrus or panaque. Hypancistrus are beautiful but rarely seen in daylight. However given time all species should be visible when being fed.

Just make sure they have a lot of flow and oxygen. In the case of hypancistrus or something like an l134 make sure they are kept warm too. A lot of the smaller fancy plecos or from the xingu or tapas is which are extremely warm fast flowing rivers. Also let us know what species you go for as some have extremely different dietary requirements.

Cheers

Conor

L128 will get too large for a 200l. I would stick to he other species suggested. I would say out of all the smaller species recommended you may be best with a peckoltia, ancistrus or panaque. Hypancistrus are beautiful but rarely seen in daylight. However given time all species should be visible when being fed.

Just make sure they have a lot of flow and oxygen. In the case of hypancistrus or something like an l134 make sure they are kept warm too. A lot of the smaller fancy plecos or from the xingu or tapas is which are extremely warm fast flowing rivers. Also let us know what species you go for as some have extremely different dietary requirements.

Cheers

Conor

Will do, will not be for a month or 2 yet anyway, stripped the tank down to just the substrate today and did a big water change, gonna do another water change tomorrow and clean the glass etc, then another on wednesday and clean the filter out then go hardscape shopping and order the floaters.

So, I have all the hardscape sorted and have made a very nice cave made from landscape rock and redmoor wood.

I was looking over the pleco's suggested and have ruled out the zebra plec, mainly due to the temp requirements compared to the fish I currently have.

I am toying with the idea of having a few plants but not many.

I am leaning towards the l397 as it seems to suit the tank conditions best.

If I was to get a group of these (provided the maidenhead near me has them in stock) how many would be suitable?

The cave is quite large with a fair bit of space.

Another question, would botanicals help out?

Last edited:
So, I have all the hardscape sorted and have made a very nice cave made from landscape rock and redmoor wood.

I was looking over the pleco's suggested and have ruled out the zebra plec, mainly due to the temp requirements compared to the fish I currently have.

I am toying with the idea of having a few plants but not many.

I am leaning towards the l397 as it seems to suit the tank conditions best.

If I was to get a group of these (provided the maidenhead near me has them in stock) how many would be suitable?

The cave is quite large with a fair bit of space.

Another question, would botanicals help out?
Id say a group of four or five would be suitable. Make sure you have lots of driftwood as these are panaques and feed on wood. Nothing too hard though like Mopani! As for caves google pleco caves, plecos like long narrow tube like caves shut off at one end. Should be easy enough to order from ebay. Also if you do get the l397 make sure they have plenty of veg, these aren’t carnivores like the hypancistrus and could get bloat if fed too much meaty stuff.

Good luck!

Cheers, conor

Id say a group of four or five would be suitable. Make sure you have lots of driftwood as these are panaques and feed on wood. Nothing too hard though like Mopani! As for caves google pleco caves, plecos like long narrow tube like caves shut off at one end. Should be easy enough to order from ebay. Also if you do get the l397 make sure they have plenty of veg, these aren’t carnivores like the hypancistrus and could get bloat if fed too much meaty stuff.

Good luck!

Cheers, conor

Well the cave is quite long, the whole ceiling of the cave is made from redmoor wood, there is a small gap at the back of the cave but could easily block that with a small piece of rock if need be, the entrance is facing the exact point that the current bounces off the front bottom corner and moves across the tank too so the cave has nice flow through it, will try and get a picture later.

In terms of food, am likely going to stock up on half a cucumber a week and suppliment with wafers. in terms of feeding cucumber do you just drop a slice in with an anchor?

Well the cave is quite long, the whole ceiling of the cave is made from redmoor wood, there is a small gap at the back of the cave but could easily block that with a small piece of rock if need be, the entrance is facing the exact point that the current bounces off the front bottom corner and moves across the tank too so the cave has nice flow through it, will try and get a picture later.

In terms of food, am likely going to stock up on half a cucumber a week and suppliment with wafers. in terms of feeding cucumber do you just drop a slice in with an anchor?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Pleco-Cave/66789/bn_7023491774
These are more like the thing you’ll need, more of a tube than a cave but these are what the males use to breed in and will be sitting at the entrance to these most of the time with their tail sticking out.

In regards to food I’d skip the cucumber as it’s mostly water. Courgette, sweet potato, melon and loads of others are suitable for panaque, along with some suitable veggie pellets or wafers. And yes just stick a tea spoon or something suitable through them to make them sink.

Cheers

Conor

What about bristlenoses, how many of them could I keep?

If anyone could answer because I am thinking of going to maidenheads later today.

Last edited:
What about bristlenoses, how many of them could I keep?

If anyone could answer because I am thinking of going to maidenheads later today.
I’d go for a trio, one male and two females.

More than one male will probably cause carnage, Bristlenose can be quite aggressive when they want to be.

Cheers

Conor

I’d go for a trio, one male and two females.

More than one male will probably cause carnage, Bristlenose can be quite aggressive when they want to be.

Cheers

Conor

What is the best way tell when they are juvenile?

What is the best way tell when they are juvenile?
Can be difficult, however males should still be showing a few bristles if the fish aren’t tiny. Try and look for the fish with the most bristles and then two that are completely ‘bald’.

If the fish are really small and too small to tell maybe get a group of six and grow them on. Once you know the sexes for definite return or sell the surplus.

Cheers

Conor

Got 5 as like you said due to age was impossible to tell.

We got a terrarium kit too :S

Once I make sure its sorted will be getting 2 musk turtles, could any of the bristlenoses that turn out to be male be homed in there once it is ready for life?

Got 5 as like you said due to age was impossible to tell.

We got a terrarium kit too :S

Once I make sure its sorted will be getting 2 musk turtles, could any of the bristlenoses that turn out to be male be homed in there once it is ready for life?
I’d say no turtles are the extremely messy and like to take bites out of things.

Cheers

Conor

Back