• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Billy No Mates

BarryH

How resilient are Cherry Shrimp? A little over three weeks ago I set up a new shrimp only tank. Added a few floating plants and let it start its cycle.

Working at my desk today, I thought I spotted something moving in the Weeping Moss I'd also put in there and sure enough it was a Cherry Shrimp about 1cm long. Having been in an uncycled tank for over three weeks, I guess they must be quite resilient. Although I thought I'd done a reasonable check on everything that went in I obviously missed this one, must have been the tiniest of babies.

Having said all that, I'm now beginning to think it may have got in on the filter when I squeezed it out for the culture. It was a fairly coarse filter.

I've had the same thing happen to me and shrimps can be pretty hardy but I think it depends on the individual scenario. My tank for instance was just inert sand and then the wood and plants which meant it didn't get any real ammonia or nitrite produced. If you used a non inert substrate that is known to cause ammonia you might not be so lucky.

Hi all,
Added a few floating plants and let it start its cycle.
'm now beginning to think it may have got in on the filter when I squeezed it out for the culture. It was a fairly coarse filter.
I think it will be fine.

Your tank isn't really non-cycled. I don't see cycling as a switch between non-cycled = toxic and cycled = safe, it is more of a slope.

Unwittingly you've performed a <"bioassay"> with your Cherry Shrimp.

cheers Darrel

Back