• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Biomaster Prefilter Foams

Any owners tried the different types, was there a noticeable change in the flow? The blue ones that came with mine don’t seem to get overly dirty so I’m wondering if I should try another type. I notice you can get Oase compatible copies as well.

I use the orange, which I can at least confirm do a great job of keeping the main filter clean.

Only ever used the orange so can’t tell you what the comparative flow impact would be I’m afraid. I use gyres so flow isn’t a priority for me.

I have 30, 45 and 65ppi foams. I switch between the 45 and 65 when doing the weekly clean. Never noticed any difference in flow. I do it this way, so I just replace the foams quickly and then clean the dirty set at my leisure.
I use the 30ppi foams when I know that I won't be able to look at the filters for say 2 weeks as is currently the case (away from home for work). I would hope that the 30ppi foam will not clog up and handle the longer period without maintenance.

I have all three foam types for the Biomaster pre-filters.

The orange 30ppi foam is too coarse for my liking, I prefer the foam to stop most solids getting through to the main filter compartment.

The blue 45ppi foam is pretty good, and I'd use that on a tank that tends to generate more detritus, as it will last a little longer between cleaning before clogging starts to reduce flow.

I do really like the black 60ppi foam though, as it really does stop absolutely all solids getting through to the main filter, and if used on a tank that generates less detritus, can go weeks before the flow slows from clogging. My filter that uses these black sponges required no main filter cleaning when I checked it after 9 months or so of operating with the black sponges.

I should point out though, both my Biomaster filters are modified with additional holes (about x4) drilled in the clear tubes that go inside the pre-filter sponges. I would consider this a mandatory modification, and will ensure both a) better flow through the filter overall, b) no difference in flow from using the different sponges, and b) a lot longer periods before the pre-filter sponges start to clog.

Thanks for your thoughts folks. I’m in two minds about drilling the intake pipe (as seen in at least one YouTube Video) as I figured Oase would have experimented with this during development to ensure a good flow? I did however consider getting some spare plastic pipe though to give it a try myself.

I should point out though, both my Biomaster filters are modified with additional holes (about x4) drilled in the clear tubes that go inside the pre-filter sponges. I would consider this a mandatory modification, and will ensure both a) better flow through the filter overall, b) no difference in flow from using the different sponges, and b) a lot longer periods before the pre-filter sponges start to clog.
We've got an Pondguru pimp fan. Unfortunately there is no pimp emoticon. I guess that's not politically correct.
Screen Shot 2022-10-19 at 07.35.36.jpg

@Wookii
. ……..…../´¯/)………… (\¯`\
…………/….//……….. …\\….\
………../….//………… ….\\….\
…../´¯/…./´¯\………../¯ \….\¯\
.././…/…./…./.|……| .\….\….\…\.\..
(.(….(….(…./.)..)..(..(. \….)….)….)… )
.\…………….\/…/….\. ..\/……………./
..\…………….. /……..\……………..…/
….\…………..(…………)……………./

There is always simple full stops, dashes and parenthesis. - You're welcome.
Read it fast as this will get deleted in no time.

I figured Oase would have experimented with this during development to ensure a good flow?

They will most likely have, but also most likely on a perfectly clean filter, and but perhaps not continued the test until the sponges started to clog.

I kind of just makes sense that if the tube has 20 holes, there are 20 points where the sponge around the hole needs to start clogging before the flow starts to reduce, if it has 80 holes, you have a four fold increase in the number of points that need to start clogging before flow is reduced, much more even draw through the sponges, and much more open area that might be affected by differing sponge densities.

I did however consider getting some spare plastic pipe though to give it a try myself.

You can get the Oase tubes as spares: Spare part prefilter tube BioMaster 250

Back