• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Birthday surprise DSLR?

jay

Well my birthday next week and my girlfriend has noticed my hobby of fishkeeping (4 ft tank her side of the bed :p )
and new found interest in photography. I haven't touched a 'proper' camera in years and I'm wondering what sort of specifications I should be looking for in a DSLR camera. Just for good tank pictures and general ease of use in everyday picture taking... i am somewhat of an artist :wideyed:

Just have know idea on DSLR cameras.

Hi, the same thing happen to me, first it was the fish, now its the photography, im also new to the dslr market and just bought myself a Canon 450d which i absolutely love, Canon have released other cameras after this one which are the 1000d and i think the 500d these being entry level for easiest transition from point and shoot to DSLR.

My best advice to you would be go and check out all the brands ie Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Canon etc and find out which one you like the feel of most, i ended up going for the Canon after spending a good hour in Jessops just checking different models.

Ask yourself if you need live view, also what lenses are available for which camera?? I have just spent another £379 on a Canon 70-200l lens, believe me it a cheap hobby, but very satisfying indeed. I find any spare time i have im taking pictures of Landscapes, street photography, portraits, ive even just shot my first wedding as a second shooter. Really enjoyed it.

I also got a standard 18-55mm lens with my camera which is okay, but i can gaurantee that you be wanting to buy more lenses. If you are wanting to take shots of youre tank you will also need a tripod, to prevent blurry shots on them long shutter speeds. All cameras come with pretty much the same dial, Av mode (aperture priority), Tv mode (shutter priority), Full auto, Manual, my 450d iso goes to 1600 but i believe there are other that go up to 3200 so basically you can shoot in darker areas.

Also get yourself over to photography on the net, really helpful forum, its a Canon forum by the way (sorry Nikon users) i have to plug my side :lol:

Hope this helps a little, how much you looking to spend by the way????

Cheers.
Yeah I know once I get it, I'll be pointing it everywhere :)

Thinking about £400 max really. Whats the average for a gudn'

Also, I always hear about Canon or Nikon... should I even consider any others?

Im selling my 450d with a lens if youre interested, its just a couple of months old and in perfect nick. I would however need more than £400, p/m if you are interested. For that money i think you could buy the new 1000d, i think its 10 megapixel.

I think Canon and Nikon are the market leaders but that doesnt mean other ones aint good, i hear sony have the a200 at about £299, very good price.

Cheers.

Sounds like a deal but i couldn't go more than £400... it is a birthday prezzie. :D

i've hears about thr D40 so and so??

£500 and its yours, comes with 3 yr extended warranty. i paid £600 2 months ago....its a bargain dude. With receipts too. If you do damage it they replace it with a new camera straight away. Ill give you a camera bag and 4gb card with usb reader too.

Back