• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bit Confused?

dkm

Hi,

Ok I was under the impression that Dennerle 2kg, 500g etc cylinders and regulators had a special fitment size! So are not interchangeable with other makes. But........

Just been playing with mine.
And to my surprise the Regulators fit directly and properly onto pub gas standard cylinders!
And non Dennerle Regulators fit directly and properly onto Dennerle cylinders!

When I discovered my system went through 2kg cylinders in a couple of weeks I decided to change to 6.5kg pub gas cylinders and bought a cheap dual gauge reg for it! But now I have discovered that I did not need to buy the new reg. That will teach me for not checking for myself. :mad:

Has anyone else noticed this. Has dennerle changed its fitting in the last year or so or have they always been interchangeable?

Regards

Dave

Hi,
CO2 and other industrial gases have been around for a lot longer than Dennerle and other aquarium suppliers, so standardized pneumatic fittings had already been developed, otherwise it would be a mess for all the various industrial CO2 applications. Food & Beverage, welding, fire extinguishing and so forth all more or less agreed to comply with a set of standards for the cylinder valves as well as for the mating connectors. So the diameter and thread geometry is generally set in each country or continent. Check this website for some interesting facts about cylinder threads and CO2 properties in general=> CO2 CYLINDER VALVES

Later, when aquarium companies started producing regulators and other equipment for our use, they had to make them compatible with existing standards. Only later did they start to deviate by making proprietary sizes, especially for the smaller/disposable cylinders. Most regulators are therefore, by default, compatible and interchangeable with industry standard connectors. Those that aren't often have adapters (sold separately) to make them industry compatible.

Cheers,

Hi thanks for the replies.

I understand alot about cylinders and gases since I work with them all the time. But not Dennerle Cylinders!

I know that there is industry standards set, eg pin indexing, colour of cylinders, thread sizes etc but was told by quite a few people that Dennerle was different from everyone else! Come to think of it the guy in the Dennerle stockist also said it was a 'special size' and I would have to get them to refill it (at Dennerle prices)! Suddenly the penny drops. :woot:

Since I work with cylinders I understand gas laws (eg Boyles law, Charles law), health and safety regarding storage and use of gas cylinders, delivery of gases, effects of different gases so was shocked when I was told Dennerle were different sizes. As it happens it was untrue (well on the reusable cylinders at least).

We live and learn. I need to stop being so gullible.

Again thanks for the replies.

Dave

They may not all fit as standard. JBL used to manufacture their regs slightly oversized so they couldn't be attached to a standard CO2 bottle. They have since stopped this and now manufacture them to a standard size.

James

So there is manufacturers that do non standard sizes.

Something to be wary of in the future. At least I know dennerle stuff works with non dennerle stuff.

Regards

Dave

I've never heard of Dennerle's refillable bottles/regs being non-standard, but their disposable kits have a non-standard thread that won't fit regular disposable welding bottles. It's possible that's where the confusion came in.

Not really.

I already knew about the fitting of dennerle disposables.
I asked if the reuseable cylinders were standard and was told they were not. Ah well

Dave

I didn't mean you didn't know that, Dave, I just meant maybe the person who told you got mixed up. :)

If the Dennerle refillables ever used a non-standard thread it must have been a while ago, their CO2 lineup (BioLine/Comfort/Classic) has been the same for quite a few years now. They've only recently released the new (and much nicer looking, IMO) Evolution series.

Hi JAS,

Yeah think you are right. They either got it confused and in the process confused me. Or looking at it from a sceptical angle they were trying to get me to spend money in their shop (not a sponsor by the way)!

To be honest their reusable cylinders probably have always been a standard fitting and I agree their new evolution do look so much better.

Cheers

Dave

Back