• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

bit nervy about converting a d-d kit

fourmations

hi all

i know this is old hat but i've read the tutorial
and can help noticing i could potentially blow my head off!

heres my specific questions, if y'all dont mind!

is it safe to assume that the reg/solenoid/needle on my d-d disposable
set will take the the pressure of a 2kg f/e

i have the converter/adaptor piece,
I see on the d-d site it shows it with an o-ring included, i dont have one

i know that the fact that d-d sell a converter
that all should be fine, but i think they are suggesting use of a dedicated aquarium 2kg bottle,
are these under the same sort of pressure as a f/e?

last one, re pfte tape...
i have read conflicting advice on whether to use it,
do i need to pfte anything?
the two that spring to mind are the join from the adapter to the reg
and from the adapter to the f/e

i dont feel i fall into the stupid category and have the where-with-all
to do this carefully and safely

please put me at ease,

rgds

I converted too FE about 18 months ago mate, just added a converter too my old unit which took disposable bottles, I used PTFE on the thread, not had any problems !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fourmations said:
is it safe to assume that the reg/solenoid/needle on my d-d disposable
set will take the the pressure of a 2kg f/e

Yes I think so. I,ve certainly had no trouble with my D-D set and an FE. However I'm no technically minded expert but I can tell you that a full FE has a pressure of around 60-65bar now I bet with a bit of internet trawling you'll be able to find out how much pressure those guages can withstand.

fourmations said:
i have the converter/adaptor piece,
I see on the d-d site it shows it with an o-ring included, i dont have one

I didn't get an 'o' ring with mine either not seen the picture. A link to the picture would be nice so I know for sure what your asking. You do need to use a flat nitrile rubber washer between the inside shoulder of the adapter and the adjoining face of the Fe thread. Discussed in detail here:-

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=9357

fourmations said:
i know that the fact that d-d sell a converter
that all should be fine, but i think they are suggesting use of a dedicated aquarium 2kg bottle,
are these under the same sort of pressure as a f/e?

As far as I know yes.

fourmations said:
last one, re pfte tape...
i have read conflicting advice on whether to use it,
do i need to pfte anything?
the two that spring to mind are the join from the adapter to the reg
and from the adapter to the f/e

I used ptfe tape from the adapter-regulater only, its not needed on the adapter - FE due to the washer. Wasn't aware of any issues with using ptfe tape perhaps you could also post a link to this problem for further discussion.

Regards, Chris.

thanks chris

thanks for the concise answer, perfect

regarding the washer, is this the one (from d&d site)
i bought my adapter in the lfs and i didnt get one!

Adaptor.jpg

thanks for the link, they dont mention "nitrile", is this the ones?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/50-Rubber-Was...mQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item20af3145a4

is it something you could pick up in homebase, b&q or a hardware?
im in ireland and was hoping to set up tommorrow

best rgds

Hi,

I think the washers that you linked to are standard rubber washers and therefore unsuitable. What you need is Nitrile rubber washers there made from a different material which has different properties, I think its the same seller though just ask him I found him very helpfull. If in doubt from the link I gave you there is a link within that thread to another thread where I posted details of where I got mine from.

I don't think you can get them easily from local hardware stores the exact right size. It does need to be Nitrile rubber as this is impervious to co2 which being acidic attacks normal rubber washers. I couldn't say exactly how critical this is though but best with pressurised systems to ere on the side of caution. Its basically the same reason why normal airline tubing is not suitable for co2 applications.

I reckon if your stuck though a normal rubber washer would do for a day or two until you could get the right ones.

When dealing with co2 make sure the bottle is secure at all times, if it were to fall and hit the reg then its potentially disasterous. That and an awareness that bottle dumps can occur are your two main concerns.

Regards, Chris.

cheers chris

i bit the bullet and did it already

i got a nylon washer in work, a quick call to the local marine lfs
confirmed that it's suitable and im not dead yet!

i was just a bit iffy about the whole thing
its interesting that the disposable bottles i have used seem to be the
same bar as the f/e according to my dials

the "firing" was still a bit confusing but it was okay

my reg actually has its rating on it at 100 bar so that was okay

as i suspected it was all very easy and no hiccups
its just reading the phrases "red missile" and "death" had me a bit flustered!

best regards

Hi,

Its healthy to be respectfull of co2 canisters and there use so no worries, happy to help.

Just a quick word of warning though I'd be very carefull equating advice as 'good' just because they work in a LFS. Seriously!!!!!

Regards, Chris.

chris1004 said:
Just a quick word of warning though I'd be very carefull equating advice as 'good' just because they work in a LFS. Seriously!!!!!

yeah i know, it can be hit and miss, i've overheard some shocking advice before!

this guy is an avid marine fishkeeper too and has run co2 for years

do you rate the nylon washer as being okay?

thanks again

regards

Hi,

To be honest I don't know I've never used them. I've only been into this planted tank side of our hobby for just over a year now (thats also how long I've been using co2) and use Nitrile washers because of advice that I believe to be correct from posts I've read on this forum from people I've come to respect. I'm just regurgitating that advice really.

The advice that LFS stores dish out freely that I was specifically aiming those comments at is the common misconception that phosphate / nutrients cause algae. Your bound to hear that one sooner or later. Its a bit of a bug bear with many on this forum.

I've heard some terrible advice being freely given in LFStores myself, some innocently and some not so innocently. After all there in it to make a profit.

Regards, Chris.

Back