• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bit of a dilemma

JPT81

Hey all,

I’m looking for some advice, all comments welcome!

I’ve just started my very first aquascape and I don’t think I’ve organised myself very well.
Basically, I’m doing a carpet of HC as a dry start, but stupidly bought all my other plants at the same time.
The HC has been in for almost 6 days now and I had to plant my Staurogyne Repens and Alternanther Reineckii Mini a few days later as I was panicking that they were going to die.
I also have Rotala Green and Red which is currently in a bucket of water...which seems to be doing ok at the moment.

So, my dilemma is...do I fill my tank with water now or do I wait another 2-3 weeks for the HC to grow in a little bit more!?
I know HC really should have a bit longer than that!

I don’t want a disaster of the HC dying straight away or for it all to float up to the top of the water!

Thanks very much - J :)

You can plant everything and do a dry start, almost all plants that you buy were grown in an emersed state so they will do just fine as long as the humidity is right.

You can plant everything and do a dry start, almost all plants that you buy were grown in an emersed state so they will do just fine as long as the humidity is right.
Thanks for that Nuno!
All the plants I currently have in the tank are Tropica 1-2 Grow pots. What you said makes sense!!
My worry now is my Rotala green and red. As well as they are doing in the bucket, with light and water changes, I hope they don’t die. :(

Hey,
They won't die. At least not because you've planted them in and "dry started". In addition to what Nuno said, the vast majority of the plants we deal with grow emerged in nature BUT can well adapt to submerged life.
I also think that plants undergo considerable stress when they are shipped, taken out of their cultivation pots, moved around, planted in etc - so personally I'd get done and dusted with the process soon and get them used to what will be their permanent environment.
Post a picture if you like!

Last edited:
Hey,
They won't die. At least not because you've planted them in and "dry started". In addition to what Nuno said, the vast majority of the plants we deal with grow emerged in nature BUT can well adapt to submerged life.
I also think that plants undergo considerable stressed when they are shipped, taken out of their cultivation pots, moved around planted in etc - so personally I'd get done and dusted with the process soon and get them used to what will be their permanent environment.
Post a picture if you like!
Thanks for the message Nico!
I was actually considering putting the last plants in and filling it tomorrow.
I’ll get a picture posted tomorrow with my progress! 👍

Back