• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bit of a disaster

Paul27

Something has happened in my tank that has wipeout every inhabitant bar my betta fish. Never had this happened before, not sure if it's due to anything new I have added in, plants, hardscape. Plan is though is to completely strip it and rescape. Will boil the two pieces of wood I want to reuse from there, as i will do the same with the rocks in there. Question is what's the best thing to use to clean the tank itself and also best way to disinfect the plants I would like to keep if possible?

I was but stopped using it a while ago before all this happened.

Did they show any symptoms or strange behaviour?
I was thinking some plants are treated with pesticides, which can wipe out shrimps, but fish are not normally affected.
Did it happen straight after you added some plants or wood?

Some change in water quality?maybe this is why the Betta is surviving with its ability to take air.

Hi all,
Question is what's the best thing to use to clean the tank itself and also best way to disinfect the plants I would like to keep if possible?
The old plants will be fine as they are, the new plants would just need quarantining for a bit.
Will boil the two pieces of wood I want to reuse from there, as i will do the same with the rocks in there
You don't need to.
Some change in water quality?maybe this is why the Betta is surviving with its ability to take air.
I'm pretty sure that is the answer. I always wonder about emergency chloramine dosing.

This might sound a bit of a silly question, but might you have had a heater mis-function? with the heater stuck on?

cheers Darrel

The Cory's used to be quite active, then they just started to not be and then went one after another. Shrimp there was no different behaviour, they just died off one by one.. Heater is fine, water temp is exactly same temperature it's always been. Water quality might have been a possibility, though I haven't changed anything with the way I do things like water changes etc. I have today though stripped it all down and rescaped it, found the asian catfish alive which was a bonus. Only harscape in at the moment. Really dont want the occurrence to happen again. Any recommendations from now, maybe testing the water every couple of weeks?.

Back