• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Black Cube 123 Version II

Edvet

Version one was taken down. Never got the betta male. Drained it, rinsed the filter once and filled it with 50% RO water and 50% tap (which is quite soft here)
Back to south america again. It now houses Nannostomus mortenthaleri and Apistogramma eremnopyge.
Pics will follow.

Overview: (male A.eremnopyge peeking at the bottom)
36622829974_fd531fc3f8_b.jpg
DSC_6961_copy by Ed Prust, on Flickr

N. Mortenthaleri
37302311762_494fcf3b4c_b.jpg
DSC_6984_copy by Ed Prust, on Flickr

Loving the pencilfish. Heard that particular species can be a little boisterous with one another and tank mates. Can I ask how you find them?

I've kept them with apisto's only thus far, no problems yet.
They are a bit rougher then "regular" Nannostomus but i don't expect problems when kept in large enough groups. I bought a few last year, three males survived (my bad i experimented with live food) and they did wel in a 50x30x30 cm tank. One was obviously dominant, one submissive and one in between. They rumbled a bit but it never got serious. These are the three large males in the population now. I asked for 6 females in the LFS, but i think there are 5 males in that bunch.

Thanks, that's pretty much what I have heard before. I currently have N. beckfordi and they spar all the time but do no really damage. This interaction is partly why I like them as they are far more interesting than tetras. I'll consider a group when I can get a decent sized tank with plenty of plants to block lines of sight.

Overview: (male A.eremnopyge peeking at the bottom)
36622829974_fd531fc3f8_b.jpg
DSC_6961_copy by Ed Prust, on Flickr

N. Mortenthaleri
37302311762_494fcf3b4c_b.jpg
DSC_6984_copy by Ed Prust, on Flickr

Hi Ed, which species are the tall plants left and right?
They would suit well in my small tank, for the background, I think. I'm now in the cycling fase of my first planted tank and have the fast growing Heteranthera dubia and Hygrophila polysperma (indeed growing fast!). In a few months I might replace them with something else.
Thanks, Paul.

The long grasslike leaves on the right are Eleocharis sp montevidensis ( as for now in a small container to get them growing better first). I know it's a North American species, but i can't find the real S.Am. versions of Eleocharis
On the left side is Najas guadalupensis (guppy grass )which is very easy,

Missus nr 2, her first litter.
From the other litter the young are about 10 mm, orderded another small tank to collect them. Now trying to catch them:confused::eek::banghead::wideyed::nailbiting:

Back