• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Black neons eating shrimp.

Lee iley

Hi guys,

Is it normal for my black neons to be eating my cherry shrimp. I have seen them eat 3 now and once one goes for one they all pile in and the shrimp has no chance. No matter what fish I put in my tank they eat my shrimp. I was thinking I don't feed them enough. I feed once a day is this enough.

Cheers Lee.

Hi Lee,

you will find many fish going for your cherry shrimp; normally the smaller ones but if you have a good sized breeding colony with places to hide then some of the smaller ones will make it to adulthood and hopefully be too big for them to eat.
You will be surprised what fish will go for your shrimp; Galaxy Rasbora (danio margaritatus) are tiny little thing yet are very carnivorous and can be quite vicious about it.

If you were offered a nice juicy steak or a tin of corned beef what would you choose? (assuming you're not vegetarian) - maybe not the best example regardless!
Maybe try feeding some frozen food in from time to time; once defrosted of course. I tend to avoid bloodworm if I have CRS in as they look alike.
Just my opinions.

Andrew

Thanks for the reply Andrew. Yes very true I would take the steak every time haha. There is plenty of hiding spots in my tank. I will get some frozen food. Probably doesn't help the granules I feed them are red. I see it some times when the shrimp have a little panic attack all they fish just go into hunting mode for a split second.

Cheers lee

Hi Lee
Sorry to hear about that.
On the bright side U now know there is nothing wrong with your shrimp and water parameters.I will defo switch to not red food.But thing is once they have taste for it U will be strugling to stop them eating them
There are loads of fish out there that will be ok with shrimp.Galaxy rasbora is to your liking I know but I had success with dwarf rainbows(pseudomugil sp) in past too as they tend to keep more in upper water.Embers are good little fish if U dont mind all the red (as cherries are red too) U will have in there.
Regards Konsa

Hi Lee
Sorry to hear about that.
On the bright side U now know there is nothing wrong with your shrimp and water parameters.I will defo switch to not red food.But thing is once they have taste for it U will be strugling to stop them eating them
There are loads of fish out there that will be ok with shrimp.Galaxy rasbora is to your liking I know but I had success with dwarf rainbows(pseudomugil sp) in past too as they tend to keep more in upper water.Embers are good little fish if U dont mind all the red (as cherries are red too) U will have in there.
Regards Konsa
Yes true. Didn't think black neons would be so aggressive towards the shrimp. I will go away from red food haha. I have emba tetras also beautiful little fish.

Cheers lee

eating my cherry shrimp
Definitely avoid red floaty food such as flake. Watched my shrimps slowly sinking while holding & eating flake. It taught my fish to be interested in rcs. However red pelleted blood worn did not have this effect. Fish and even part grow shrimps feed side by side. Largest fish I have with a snappy temperament are Hyphessobrycon bentosi. So far shrimp are out breeding predication. Found black neons to be more pushy than people think, now do not have them. Its luck of the draw with fish and invertebrates. Good luck.

I would try feeding your black neons more than once a day, twice minimum and that may help.

Back