• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Black slime in emersed moss

Hey all

Have a Misokusa mist wall which is totally awesome, but after about 4 months of running, I'm getting some black slimy stuff in the moss itself. Is there anything I can do/use to kill the slime without also killing the moss?

Has anyone else had this in emersed moss?

Wookii

Hey all

Have a Misokusa mist wall which is totally awesome, but after about 4 months of running, I'm getting some black slimy stuff in the moss itself. Is there anything I can do/use to kill the slime without also killing the moss?

Hard to tell without a picture but could be mould. Do you add springtails?

LondonAquascaper

I'll get a pic tomoz. I've not added springtails but will order some tomorrow as a friend also recommended them

dw1305

Expert
UKAPS Team
Hi all,
Hey all

It might be Cyanobacteria, <"like Nostoc commune">. I'm not sure about treating it without damaging the moss.
Hard to tell without a picture but could be mould. Do you add springtails?
Springtails might help.

Cheers Darrel

Last edited:

LondonAquascaper

Hi all,

It might be Cyanobacteria, <"like Nostoc commune">. I'm not sure about treating it without damaging the moss.

Springtails might help.

Cheers Darrel
Well according to that link nostoc commune can be eaten as part of a salad so at least I won't go hungry!

I've added a few springtails!