Black spots and brown/yellow leaves

Discussion in 'Plant Help' started by joeinlondon, 21 Oct 2008.

1. joeinlondon

joeinlondon Member

Despite heavy dosing of my 67L tank (TPN + @ 2ml/day) and a substrate with laterite mixed in, my Echinodorus 'rosea' will throw up a brown/yellow/transparent leaf now and again (which slowly turns green), and some of the older leaves have black spots on them.

Does this mean that they are still lacking in nutrients?

2. vauxhallmark

vauxhallmark Member

I could be wrong, but I thought that was exactly how they were supposed to grow!

Does it look generally 'happy'?

Mark

3. joeinlondon

joeinlondon Member

Hi Mark

Does it look happy? I can't really tell! It grows strongly but not always green. I thought I read somewhere that black spots were bad. And I've got staghorn algae all over the place as well, so I guess it's a bit unhappy.

4. vauxhallmark

vauxhallmark Member

Well, I was only going on what Tropica say about there product E 'Rosé' ;

"New underwater leaves are a beautiful pink, and initially the leaves have red-brown spots."

So it could be that the spots are the result of many years of patient breeding! :D

However, I'm not an expert on Echinodorus or algae, so you'll have to wait for some of the pros to chime in with suggestions! If you are worried, and you can post a picture, I'm sure that would help people to help you.

Best,

Mark

5. LondonDragon

LondonDragon Administrator Staff Member

Some photos would also help ;)

6. vauxhallmark

vauxhallmark Member

That's what i meant by "picture"! ;)

Mark

7. joeinlondon

joeinlondon Member

Well after reading that I am assuaged. If I had a sausage dog I'd probably think there was something wrong with its legs :wideyed: .

The black spots were on the very oldest leaves, which I have now pruned, so no chance of a photo I'm afraid. I am generally improving my overall technique (he says tempting fate) so hopefully this new round of leaves will not deteriorate, if you see what I mean...

Thanks

Joe