• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Black spots and brown/yellow leaves

joeinlondon

Despite heavy dosing of my 67L tank (TPN + @ 2ml/day) and a substrate with laterite mixed in, my Echinodorus 'rosea' will throw up a brown/yellow/transparent leaf now and again (which slowly turns green), and some of the older leaves have black spots on them.

Does this mean that they are still lacking in nutrients?

I could be wrong, but I thought that was exactly how they were supposed to grow!

Does it look generally 'happy'?

Mark

Hi Mark

Does it look happy? I can't really tell! It grows strongly but not always green. I thought I read somewhere that black spots were bad. And I've got staghorn algae all over the place as well, so I guess it's a bit unhappy.

Well, I was only going on what Tropica say about there product E 'Rosé' ;

"New underwater leaves are a beautiful pink, and initially the leaves have red-brown spots."

So it could be that the spots are the result of many years of patient breeding! :D

However, I'm not an expert on Echinodorus or algae, so you'll have to wait for some of the pros to chime in with suggestions! If you are worried, and you can post a picture, I'm sure that would help people to help you.

Best,

Mark

"New underwater leaves are a beautiful pink, and initially the leaves have red-brown spots."

Well after reading that I am assuaged. If I had a sausage dog I'd probably think there was something wrong with its legs :wideyed: .

The black spots were on the very oldest leaves, which I have now pruned, so no chance of a photo I'm afraid. I am generally improving my overall technique (he says tempting fate) so hopefully this new round of leaves will not deteriorate, if you see what I mean...

Thanks

Joe

Back