Black Substrates

Discussion in 'Substrates' started by Voo, 27 Feb 2008.

1. Voo

Voo Member

Hi All,

I've recently changed the substrate in my tank, and opted for the Black Sand available from Maidenhead aquatics. Have to say, i'm quite disappointed in that it's not very black at all... more of a grey colour.

Can anyone point me to some substrates that are black, preferably sand (although i would consider gravel), but as there's already fish in the tank, i'd like something inert.

I've seen images Caribsea Tahitan moon sand, and this was one i was considering, although close-up photos made me question just how black it really is.

Thanks

2. Dan Crawford

Dan Crawford Founder Staff Member

3. Aqua Essentials

Aqua Essentials Sponsor Staff Member

Black Tahitan moon sand is black (not grey at all) :)

Hagen Extra Fine Black River Gravel is also very black

4. Voo

Voo Member

Excellant, Thanks guys. Looks like i might be changing the substrate again soon :?

5. nry

nry Member

Hmm, I have the Hagen Black River Sand - extra fine. Can't say it is black black, more a mix of darker sands giving it an overall grey look. I like it personally and given most of it will be covered in HC soon I guess colour is a little irrelevant :)

6. bugs

bugs Member

Thinking that I may have to fall back on "black" gravel (of the more greyish variety) if I can't find some nice earth brown stuff soon...

7. Ed Seeley

Ed Seeley Member

Have you looked at the Malaya Aquasoil? There's also Africa which is a baked earth red colour.

8. bugs

bugs Member

Aquasoil = expensive. I'm dedicated to trying to do this tank on the cheap. Thanks for the tip in any case.