• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Blackwater Scape Ideas

rross11

Hi, I'm looking for some guidance with the set up of a blackwater scape. I'm planning on using my 105L aquarium with Eheim external filter and probably focusing on a South American biotope. As this is the first time I've tried a blackwater tank, I wondered if there are any guides and inspiration people would recommend?

I've viewed George Farmer's blackwater scape on his channel and liked the idea of using a light sand as the base, with various wood and rocks used for the hardscape. - I have a lot of spare driftwood available as well as substrate, soil and/or sand for the set up.

I would also look to source botanics as needed to create the tannins.

What are people's experiences with blackwater aquariums? Are they easy to maintain?

Thanks.

Hi, I'm looking for some guidance with the set up of a blackwater scape. I'm planning on using my 105L aquarium with Eheim external filter and probably focusing on a South American biotope. As this is the first time I've tried a blackwater tank, I wondered if there are any guides and inspiration people would recommend?

I've viewed George Farmer's blackwater scape on his channel and liked the idea of using a light sand as the base, with various wood and rocks used for the hardscape. - I have a lot of spare driftwood available as well as substrate, soil and/or sand for the set up.

I would also look to source botanics as needed to create the tannins.

What are people's experiences with blackwater aquariums? Are they easy to maintain?

Thanks.
They’re no different to any other aquarium in terms of maintenance and you can argue that black water produces less algae issues due to lack of light reaching places.

You can make the black water outside of the aquarium then add it, this will give you control over how dark the water actually is.

There’s tonnes of videos online, Tai Streitman does a lot of biotiope tanks.

All those three tree leaves should be easily found, try a wooded area near you. Oak keeps leaves on for long time check ground beneath. Have a look at events thread on here for yearly Biotope Contests

Hi there,
I have small a tank with tannin stained water. It's not a proper biotope, just some roots & a selection of plant cuttings from the other tank.
I'm trying to control the tint with alder cones, about one a month I think should keep it a nice amber colour. I pour boiling water on them 24 hrs before use to make them sink. You should be able to find plenty around still, either on the tree or fallen ones.

Back