• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bleach dip for plants with snails eggs on.

jaycat

Hi,

my 4' tank is now ready for scaping and fish.

However the plants I have I want to move from the old tank to the new BUT I have snails all over them, and I do not want them in the new tank. Do any of you do the bleach dip? The plants are mainly Crypts and Vallis. I've read 1 part bleach to 19 parts water but not too sure of the time span to leave them in.

Thoughts would be appreciated, thanks,

Hmm, I've never done this. You might be fighting a losing battle! If the tank is going to be lightly stocked with animals, and feeding minimal and dead leaves etc removed the snails shouldn't be a problem. I have the same snail (admittedly a very small ramshorn, don't seem to grow bigger than 3-4mm) in two tanks. One is my main tank, gets proper ferts, has small fish and shrimps, good CO2, good cleaning. If I look in it now I can see two snails, 3mm each, one on the glass, one on an Anubius.

Next to and below that tank is a spare one, for keeping small ammounts of plant species I don't currently want in my main tank, and propagating extra plants that I do want in the main tank. No fish or shrimps, filthy substrate, Yeast CO2, one v bright Interpet light, no heater, just a powerhead with a bit of sponge in it.It doesn't get proper fertilisation, just gets 2/3 of it's water removed and replaced with water from the main tank whenever I do a waterchange on the main tank (1-2 times per week). I very rarely give it a good clean, and mostly let leaves rot in the tank if they fall off (as I'm not fertilising it properly, and it's not for show. On the back wall of that tank (the one that has gone the longest since scraping off the algae) there are about 15 snails per square inch!

They will eat bits of dead leaf etc, and can get into even smaller crevices than CRS, so I don't mind having them in either of my tanks - although they sure look horrible in the messy tank!

But if I wanted to get rid of the snails completely in my main tank I reckon I could, by syphoning any I could see out at each water change - there's just so few of them that they don't bother me.

If you want to go for a snail free tank, good luck to you. I'm sure there will be people on here who know a bit about killing snails eggs - just my rambling thoughts on snails.

Good luck,

Mark

Thank you, I have a couple of less healthy Vallis, but Crypts are all very healthy, so fingers crossed.

Back