• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bleach for Seachem Purigen

MbeforeT

Seedling
Hi all,

I'm just wondering what bleach people are using to recharge Seachem Purigen, as I'm struggling to find a simple bleach that's suitable?

Much appreciated

I used thin bleach from Tesco's, and 30p for a couple of litres.

I actually purchased Tesco's thin bleach, but then later realised that it's only 1% strength. Seachem support advised that this wouldn't be strong enough to recharge the product

Hi all,

I'm just wondering what bleach people are using to recharge Seachem Purigen, as I'm struggling to find a simple bleach that's suitable?

Much appreciated

I had the same issue, even using neat thin bleach from the supermarket the Purigen was still a light brown colour suggesting not all the organic material had been removed during the recharge.

I searched out a stronger version but most over the counter strong bleaches have colouring, fragrances or thickeners added, making them no good for recharging Purigen.

Bleach is essentially just Sodium Hypochlorite, so I ended up getting this from APC Pure:

https://apcpure.com/product/sodium-hypochlorite-12

This is a 12% strength solution, with nothing else added, so you can mix a cup of this with one or two cups of water to make your recharge solution. I use it 50:50, so it’s essentially 6% concentration. It’s also pretty cost effective at £4 a litre bottle.

Now the Purigen comes out perfectly white once recharged, like its brand new.

Was wondering how you clean the purigen after soaking in S. Hypochlorite, I use this stuff to clean block paving slabs and the data sheet advises it is lethal to aquatic life!

How long do you leave it in Prime

Was wondering how you clean the purigen after soaking in S. Hypochlorite, I use this stuff to clean block paving slabs and the data sheet advises it is lethal to aquatic life!

How long do you leave it in Prime

I leave it soaking for 24 hours, shaking the tub occasionally to circulate. Then I drain, rinse and repeat just to be sure.

Sodium Hypochlorite is bleach, it’s the same thing, don’t be perturbed by the scientific name.

With anything like that you need to let it dry thoroughly too, and leave it to expel any remaining gases.

Retract:
With anything like that you need to let it dry thoroughly too,

I change my mind. Ignore my comment above!

I think you were right to say leave it in water. Perhaps just change the water plenty of times, use dechlorinator, and dilute the bleach down to recommended levels. Thanks, that slipped my mind. I was thinking about Glastonbury.

Back